New Franklin council passes funds for Cares Act aide
NEW FRANKLIN City Council members are looking toward receiving funds from the Cares Act after passing a resolution to create a separate special revenue fund titled Local Coronavirus Relief Fund for the monies distributed through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act at its July 1 meeting.
• Council also passed a resolution authorizing New Franklin to enter into an agreement with CTL Engineering to provide inspection services for the South Main Street resurfacing project.
• Finance Director Susan Cooke reported that the audit should be completed by the end of July. Cooke said there will be another set of resolutions for setting up funds for additional monies from the county.
• Mayor Paul Adamson announced there is information on the city website (www.newfranklin.org) for several programs to assist residents.
• Dominion Energy is offering assistance with utility bills.
• Summit County is offering assistance with payment for rent and mortgages for those affected by COVID, such as loss of employment.
• Summit County Fiscal Office is offering low interest rates for home repairs.
• Dan Ferguson was promoted to Fire Lieutenant. Ferguson has over twenty years of experience with the New Franklin Fire Department.
• Adamson reported on the bridges in the city and said there is nothing new to report on Kungle Road Bridge. Adamson said officials are checking to see if there is funding available to help through Ohio Public Works Commission.
Benner Road Bridge is currently closed. A recent inspection was recently completed last week and it was found to be unsafe for travel. Grant money from the bridge partnership is expected July 1, 2021.
The South Main Street Bridge load limit had been reduced. It is in the Summit County Engineer’s jurisdiction.
• Dustin Nist will be honored for his heroic act as he witnessed a car drive into the Tuscarawas River and proceeded to aid the victims. In the near future, Nist will be recognized by the city.
• The city asked when cutting grass, not to blow the grass clippings into the road. While riding a bicycle or motorcycle or driving in a car or truck the clippings become a road hazard and like and can cause an accident.