LAKE TWP. During the regular meeting on Jan. 13, the Lake Local Schools Board of Education approved the purchase of six school buses through the Stark County Council of Government Cooperative bid and in conjunction with the grant award of $276,267 from the Ohio Diesel Mitigation Trust Grant program.
Superintendent Kevin Tobin said the district will be paying $251,000 as its portion of the $527,267 total cost of all six buses. Tobin said the district is purchasing five, 77-passenger buses and one handicap accessible bus.
“We originally had three buses budgeted for the year but with the help of this grant, we’re able to purchase six,” Tobin said.
There is no trade in allowances for old buses with this grant money. The funds are awarded instead of giving a trade in allowance.
• Held the annual organizational meeting before the regular meeting and elected Jennifer Anderson as president of the board and David VanderKaay as vice president for the year 2020.
• Approved keeping the regular meeting schedule as 7:30 p.m. the third Monday of every month at Lake Elementary School’s cafetorium.
• Renewed the Ohio School Board Association dues for the 2020 in the amount of $6,658.
• Tobin presented each board member with a certificate of appreciation in honor of the Ohio School Board Association’s (OSBA) School Board Recognition month. He also thanked each for their service to Lake Local Schools.
• Accepted donations as follows: $3,000 from the Lake Academic Boosters Endowment Fund for Lake Middle/High School Model United Nations Club; $250 from Lake High School Class of 1974 to replace trees and landscaping around the new high school.
• Set graduation for Lake High School seniors at 3 p.m., May 30, 2020 at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.
UP NEXT: Meets 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 24 at Lake Elementary School, Cafetorium