NEW FRANKLIN Manchester Local Schools officially have a new board member after the resignation of Mark Tallman following the December meeting.
During the Jan. 7 meeting, following an executive session, the board announced Steve Rector as the new board member.
Rector is the owner of Honeymoon Grille on Manchester Road in Coventry Township.
The appointment is for two years. Then, if Rector would want to keep the seat, he would be able to run for a four-year term after the two years.
In other business Jan. 7, the board:
• Approved the fiscal year 2020 Alternative Tax Budget.
• Approved an agreement with Dr. James Pietrzycki for an orientation and mobility evaluation for a special needs preschool student.
• Approved the sub pay rates effective Jan. 1. The increase is for a few pay rates that were below minimum wage, which increased to $8.70 with the start of a new year.
• Approved a donation from Doug Abrams to the middle school athletic department for $320 and an anonymous donation to the high school art department for $1,000.
• Approved the second reading of seven policy additions and updates.
• Took time on a letter of agreement between the district and FMD Architects Inc. as the board had some questions to ask before approving the agreement.
• Heard from Curriculum Director Rachel Willis about the curriculum for the advanced placement chemistry course at the high school. She said a detailed course map was developed
• Heard a presentation of a few songs by fourth-grade choir students to recognize the board since January is school board recognition month.
• Heard from Robin Aikey who asked for an update on the building projects and when the district will receive money from the state. Superintendent James Robinson said the district could have the money by June, but that is not certain. He said what is certain is the district will receive the money at some point soon. A section is expected to be added to the Manchester School’s website for the community to read up on the upcoming building projects.
The next Manchester Schools board meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. Feb. 18 at the Administration Building, 6075 Manchester Road.