LAKEMORE Mayor Rick Justice thanked village residents for supporting the fire levies that were on the November ballot.
Justice said there is a lot of positive things going on in the village and pointed out that the Springfield Local Schools held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new transportation depot that is being built on Kenny Ray Jr. Parkway. The Canton Road corridor project is beginning by marking and working on utilities. Edwin Shaw water line project and the Martha Avenue project is wrapping up.
Approved business for the village included:
• A resolution accepting the resignation of Seth Stertzbach from the Lakemore Fire Department. The resignation takes effect immediately.
• An ordinance to amend a previous ordinance to make appropriations for the current expenses and other expenditures of the village.
• The annual village tree lighting will be held at 5 p.m., Nov. 30 at the Municipal Building. At 5:30 p.m., the Spartanaires are going to perform by the bonfire and Santa will be arriving at 6 p.m.
• Fill A Cruiser will be held at the Dollar Store and JC Penny Nov. 29 and 30. The police will be collecting new toys, clothing, non-perishable food items and monetary donations. All donations go to Springfield Cares to give a little Christmas to families of Lakemore and Springfield.
• Cardboard and paper is being collected in the recycling bins in the lower parking lot of the Lakemore United Methodist Church and is the fundraiser for the food pantry held at the church.
• The Taste of Japan dinner was held recently and 100 percent of the proceeds, $2,075 is going to the Share A Christmas program held by the police department.
• Councilwoman Laura Cochran announced the village is $525 short of providing for the children of Lakemore that are in need of Christmas. The department is asking for help in providing for six more children. Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated and can be made at the Lakemore Police station. Other items needed are volunteers, wrapping paper, gift boxes, tape, ribbon, raffle items, toothpaste, dental floss, shampoo etc. socks, pencils, gloves, cookies, fruit, fruit juice, milk and much more. For more information on needed items stop by the department or call 330-733-6125 opt. 6. The Share A Christmas event will be held Dec. 7.
The next regular council meeting will be held Dec. 2 at the Municipal Building