Residents of a house in the Uniontown area of Lake Township arrived to discover their home was on fire.

 LAKE TWP. Residents of a house in the 3900 block of Edison Street NW were forced from their home Monday after a fire broke out inside.

The residents were not home when the fire erupted.

But, "when they arrived home and opened up the door, they discovered it was on fire," said Assistant Chief Jason Walker of the Uniontown Fire Department. "The entire kitchen area was lost. There was smoke throughout the residence, but not fire beyond the kitchen."

The people who arrived to discover their home on fire were a woman and an unspecified number of children. Firefighters responded to the two-story wood-frame structure at 4:36 p.m. Monday. While the residents were not injured, two dogs perished.

As of Monday night, the cause of the blaze had yet to be determined. But Walker said it is not a suspicious fire.

Walker declined to identify the residents. They were able to make arrangements to spend the night elsewhere. The fire rendered the house unfit for occupancy.

Other fire departments that responded came from Hartville, Greentown, Lakemore and Green.

Firefighters temporarily closed Edison Street NW, which also is state Route 619, for more than an hour.