LAKE TWP.  During the regular meeting on April 22, the Lake Township Board of Trustees authorized the purchase of 16 bullet-resistant vests and rifle plates for the Uniontown Police Department and authorized participation in the Ohio Attorney General’s Office Ohio Law Enforcement Body Armor Program.

Trustee President Jeremy Yoder the cost of the vests is $27,680, but because of the participation in the body armor program, the township is responsible for only 25 percent of the cost ($6,920) and the Ohio Attorney General’s office covers the other 75 percent of the cost ($20,760).

“This is a great opportunity for the police department to get these vests which last for five years," Yoder said.

OTHER ACTIONS: 

- Authorized paying bills as of April 22 in the amount of $129,412.

- After returning from executive session, hired Jennifer S. Roman as a full-time road administrative assistant at $15.46 an hour. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a drug test and effective no later than May 8th.

- Approved an additional $2,500 in pay for Cindy Caufield who filled in for the zoning administrator while she was on maternity leave.

- Approved the purchase of a Minuteman Snow and Ice Control Equipment package from Concord Road Equipment for a 2019 Mack Truck at a cost of $85,000.

- Approved the purchase of underground downspout material and labor for the Uniontown Police Department from Yoder Trenching at a cost of $790.

- Signed a proclamation declaring the week of May 8-16, 2019 as Light Ohio Blue Week in Lake Township. The proclamation states that the police officers perform their jobs under the direction of five core values: professionalism, respect, integrity, excellence and dedication. Plus, the proclamation expresses township’s appreciation and gratitude to the women and men of the Uniontown Police Department for their service to the Uniontown community.

UP NEXT: Meets 6:30 p.m. May 13 at Township Hall