A firefighter was injured when part of the ceiling fell onto him, but he continued to battle the blaze. House is a total loss.

NORTH CANTON  Neighbors pounding on a door awakened a family to the fire that had spread from a backyard fire pit to their home early Tuesday morning.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury when a portion of the ceiling fell on him, according to a news release from John Kleinbeck, investigator for the North Canton Fire Department.

Firefighters were called at 12:04 a.m. Tuesday to 254 Sheraton Dr. NW where the family had already fled their burning home.

The fire chief arrived to find a detached garage engulfed in flames and family members outside. As other firefighters arrived, the fire ignited the back wall of the house, which was only a few feet away, and the garage roof collapsed, Kleinbeck indicated.

The fire engine company addressed the fire to the house and then began to focus on the garage while the second company entered the house through the back door and discovered fire in the attic.

"Crews had to pull the ceilings down through most of the home in order to extinguish the fire," the release showed. "A hole had to be cut in the roof to help vent the fire and heated gases."

Two vehicles parked in the driveway and a neighbor's pool also were damaged.

Investigators learned the family had a small recreational fire in a pit in the backyard earlier in the evening. They had waited until there were only coals left in the pit before going into the house to sleep, according to the release. The fire started on the exterior corner of a wooden shed and spread to the garage and the house.

"The fire was accidental in nature and presumed to be caused by an ember from an unattended recreational fire," according to the release, noting the family was awakened to neighbors pounding on their door.

The damage was listed as a total loss with damage to structure and contents of the family's home at $150,000.

The firefighter who suffered the injury did not required medical attention and immediately continued working, Kleinbeck said in the release.

No other injuries were reported.

Reach Lori at 330-580-8309 or lori.steineck@cantonrep.com.

On Twitter: @lsteineckREP