COVENTRY TWP. Coventry Local Schools has sold two pieces of property.
During the March 4 Financial Planning and Supervision Commission meeting, the commission heard from Coventry Superintendent Lisa Blough about the sale of the former Cottage Grove School property and a new buyer for the Lakeview School building.
The district closed Cottage Grove School following the 2006-07 school year and then demolished it in 2014. Blough said the district sold the property for $73,300. She said the district is in the final stages of the deal being completed.
She also announced a new buyer for the Lakeview School building on South Main Street. The building once served as a school and then housed the administrative offices up until last summer. As a cost-saving move, the district moved the offices and worked with Kiko Auctions to auction the building.
A $253,000 bid was accepted during a December auction, but then the deal fell through.
Blough said the district has been working with Brooks Ames, who is a realtor and auctioneer for Kiko Auctions, to find a direct sale buyer.
The board recently accepted a $125,000 offer from Richard Bowling, who Blough said doesn’t have any immediate plans for the building.
In other business March 4, the commission:
- Approved personnel items, contracts, purchase orders of more than $25,000 and transfers and advances.
- Heard a presentation from Kelly Kendrick, the technology director for the district, about network upgrades at the elementary and middle school.
- Heard from Sherry Tyson, district treasurer, about an audit recently completed. She said the State Auditor’s Office is reviewing it.
- Heard from Steve Moomaw, from the State Auditor’s Office, who said the accounting methods are nearly complete. He said he will present the forecast for the district at the next meeting.
- Welcomed Barb Mattei-Smith, who is taking over as commission member replacing Quentin Potter, who recently stepped down from his position.
The next Financial and Supervision Commission meeting is set for 4:30 p.m. April 29 at Coventry Elementary School.