A house at 13594 Inverness Ave. NW was severely damaged.

LAKE TWP.  A house at 13594 Inverness Ave. NW was severely damaged during a fire that appears to have started with a space heater, investigators said.

Uniontown Fire Department firefighters responded Saturday afternoon to the blaze.

"What it is looking like that started all this was a faulty space heater," Assistant Chief Derek Shaffer said. "What it is pointing to is the initial cause is the space heater was plugged into an extension cord. The fire was fully involved when we got there."

The space heater was being used in a sun room in the rear of the house. A resident and a dog escaped the burning house.

"He is currently living with family for the time being," Shaffer said. "I am going to say it was a total loss. The walls were still there. But the roof line over the whole house is gone."

Shaffer did not provide a damage estimate. The house is owned by the Shane Irrevocable Heritage Trust, according to Stark County real estate records.