- The Canton Symphony Orchestra will present its SymphonyLand trio performances to children ages 3 to 6. The SymphonyLand trios introduce children to the instruments of the orchestra in an interactive format created specifically to engage young listeners. The series begins with the string trio at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. in Foundation Hall of the Zimmermann Symphony Center, 2331 17th Street NW, Canton. The program is free and open to the public and will incorporate an age-appropriate story book along with educational components in music and reading. Reservations are recommended for the public and are required for school groups. They can be made online at www.cantonsymphony.org or by calling the Canton Symphony box office at 330-452-2094. Reservations for smaller groups are recommended in order to ensure adequate seating.
- Between the hours of 2 and 4 p.m., join the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., for Hot Chocolate Mixology. Warm up your Saturday by designing your own one-of-a-kind hot cocoa creation. All supplies provided. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. The program is free and open to the public, no registration required. For more information, call 330-832-5037 or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- At 3 p.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering a free class, "Accessing Your Library from Home." Learn how to find, reserve and renew library materials from your home, plus borrow free eBooks or digital magazines and stream a wide variety of videos. Discover the Overdrive and Libby apps. Registration is required by calling 330-832-9831, ext. 327.
- At 3 p.m. the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering Introduction to the Hoopla Streaming App. Attendees will learn how to create an account in Hoopla, allowing users to instantly borrow free digital movies, music, eBooks and more, 24/7 using a library card. Prerequisites are experience using a computer and accessing the Internet. The class is free and registration is required by stopping at the library or calling 330-832-9831, ext. 327.
- The Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is holding a Pinterest program Fairy Lantern Class at 6 p.m. Using frolicking silhouettes of enchanted creatures, a mason jar, and a battery-operated tea light, attendees will make a glowing lantern. The program is free, all supplies are provided and registration is required. Children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult. For information or to register, call 330-832-9831, ext. 312, or visit www.massillonlibrary.org.
- The Real Hope Church, 7641 Wales Ave. NW, Jackson Twp., is hosting a Swiss Steak Dinner from 5 to 7 p.m. The menu includes Swiss Steak and onions, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans, roll, dessert and beverage. The cost is $8 for adults, $4 for children 12 and under and infants are free. Profits go to community outreach projects and ministries. The church is handicapped accessible. Groups of eight or more are welcomed, but a representative is asked to call the church office at 330-499-6971 one week prior to arrange for tickets. In case of bad weather, call the church for information.
At 2 p.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., will host Tweens for grades 4 through 8. Students will use their science and engineering skills by competing in a Tower Building Challenge. Participants will divide into teams, use some crazy building materials and see which team can build the tallest tower. All supplies will be provided and registration is required for the free program. For more information or to register, call 330-832-5037 or visit at www.massillonlibrary.org.
At 3 p.m., the Massillon Public Library 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering Microsoft Power Point Basics. Attendees will learn how to create a slide presentation from scratch, adding text, photos, and graphics. Attendees will also learn to move, add, and delete slides from their presentations. Prerequisites: Experience using a computer mouse, keyboard, and the Windows operating system. The class is free and registration is required. Stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327, for more information or to register.
- The Ohio Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Kent State University at Stark will present “Leadership Blind Spots," tips on how to take your company from struggling to best-in-class. Presented by North Canton resident Dean Langfitt, a partner of Sandler Training at The Ruby Group, the seminar will delve into common leadership pitfalls and help business leaders identify whether they have fallen victim. Langfitt will discuss “Blind Spots Syndrome," which he says undermines many businesses and affects all leaders. The program will take place from 8 to 9:30 a.m. at the Kent State University at Stark Conference Center, 6000 Frank Ave. NW. A continental breakfast will be offered at 7:30 a.m. Registration for this event is $25 per person. Registration and payment must be made online at www.cantonsbdc.org. For more information, call 330-244-3290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering a series of skill-building classes on Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Session one begins at 6 p.m. Jan. 23. Attendees will learn the basics of Excel and how to work with formulas to perform simple calculations. Prerequisites for session one are familiarity with using a mouse and a computer. In session two at 6 p.m., Jan. 29, learn how to work with subtotal formulas and what order the formulas must follow. Prerequisite is that attendees must have taken session one. In session three is at 6 p.m., Jan. 30, learn to apply specific formatting based on personal use for the table. Learn to build a pivot table and create a two-axis chart. Prerequisite is attendee must have taken session two. Classes are free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327.
- At 6 p.m., the Massillon Public Library's True Crime Book Club will discuss the book "I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer" by Michelle McNamara. For more information or to reserve a copy, call 330-832-9831, ext. 312, or visit www.massillonlibrary.org . The library is at 208 Lincoln Way E.
- At 3 p.m., the Massillon Public Library, 208 Lincoln Way E., is offering Microsoft WORD Basics. Attendees will learn how to create and edit documents using basic formatting tools like font size and style, page set-up and cut/copy/paste within a document. Prerequisites are experience using a mouse, keyboard and the Windows operating system. The class is free and registration is required. For more information or to register, stop by or call 330-832-9831, ext. 327.