LAKE TWP. During its regular meeting on Jan. 7, the Lake Local Schools Board of Education approved SoL Harris/Day Architecture for the architectural firm to complete the plans for Lake Community YMCA expansion and improvement project with the financial obligation being the responsibility of the YMCA.
The Lake Community YMCA occupies a section of the Lake Middle/High School. During the Dec. 17 meeting, the board approved an expansion and improvements plan which includes approximately 9,000 square feet of new space and approximately 3,000 square feet of renovated space.
Total project price is projected to be $2.3 million. The YMCA will start a capital campaign to raise $350,000, the Lake YMCA will contribute a portion and the remainder will come from financing through the YMCA of Central Stark County.
- Trustees held the annual organizational meeting before the regular meeting where the board elected David Poling as president and Jennifer Anderson as vice president. The board also voted to keep the meetings on the third Monday of every month beginning at 7:30 p.m. at the Lake Elementary School.
- Superintendent Kevin Tobin presented each board member with a certificate of appreciation in honor of the Ohio School Board Association’s (OSBA) School Board Recognition month. He also thanked each for their service to Lake Local Schools.
- Heard that the now empty middle school building will be used by local law enforcement for different types of training on Jan. 15 and 16. Tobin said there will be a lot of first responders around the building and he wanted to let residents know the building is being used for law enforcement training.
- Accepted several donations including $50 from Margarita Lengyel and $250 from Kathryn and Eric Grow, both going to the Kyle Donaldson Memorial Scholarship fund.
- Authorized holding graduation at 3 p.m., June 8, at the Canton Memorial Civic Center.
UP NEXT: Meets 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 25 at Lake Elementary School. This is a date change from the regular night because the third Monday falls on a national holiday.