- Those ages 16 and older can play games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Firestone Metro Park, Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Those ages 9-15 can play games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park, Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Celebrate the start of another winter season from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the School’s Out Cookout at the F. A. Seiberling Nature Realm Campfire, 1828 Smith Road. Bring your own hot dogs and buns to cook over an open fire. Drinks and condiments are provided. Then take a hike with a naturalist to investigate how animals survive the winter. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Enjoy a winter campfire with a naturalist as you learn different s'more recipes. Bring unique recipes of your own to share, if you have them. S'mores will be provided while supplies last. The program will be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the F. A. Seiberling Nature Realm Seneca Deck, 1828 Smith Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Hike along Cherry Lane Trail to learn about Pokémon and their real-life counterparts while playing Pokémon Go. Please bring a device capable of playing Pokémon Go with the app pre-installed. The event will be held from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at F. A. Seiberling Nature Realm/Campfire Area, 1828 Smith Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Register for a half-hour time slot to improve your archery shot from 1 to 4 p.m. Participants must have already taken our Intro to Archery program. All equipment provided. Registration is required. Call 330-865-8065 for more information. The open shoot is being held at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks area, 40 Axline Ave.
- The Akron Zoo is hosting a seasonal job fair from 9 to 11 a.m. Positions are available in admissions, birthdays, concessions, gift shop, guest experiences and education. The zoo’s seasonal employment runs April 1 to Dec. 31. Bring a completed application and resume and be prepared to be interviewed on the spot for a job. Candidates must be 18 years or older and be available to work at least one weekend day and some evenings and holidays. Applications and more details are available at akronzoo.org/employment.
- Children ages 3 to 6 and their adult companions will learn about trees that stay green year-round from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Includes a hike and craft. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065. The program takes place at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave.
- Children ages 3 to 6 and their adult companions will learn about trees that stay green year-round from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., including a hike and crafts. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. For information, call 330-865-8065.The program will be held at Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail/Summit Lake Nature Center, 390 W. Crosier Street.
- Green Sibshop will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It is a free monthly program for typically developing kids in grades 3 through 6 who have a brother or sister with special health or developmental needs. It is held at the Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road. For more information including registration, can be found at http://www.facebook.com/greensibshops/ or call 330-244-7650.
- Coventry AARP will meet at 1:15 p.m.at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 725 Portage Lakes Drive. Start the New Year out right with Fitness Trainer Lisa J. Kelleman-McClain demonstrating exercises to help mature muscles get moving. Free refreshments will be served and all seniors are welcome.
- The Cleveland Clinic Akron General will hold a free casual one-mile “Healthy Strides” indoor walk at the Health and Wellness Centers in Green at noon. The walk will be preceded by a brief informative talk by Akron General physicians and caregivers. Registration not required. Meet at noon at the front entrance to the facility, 1940 Town Park Blvd.
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) will resume the National Park Scenic excursion and other special events. The popular National Park Scenic excursion will run two loops on Saturdays and Sundays from Jan. 19 through April 28 out of Rockside, Peninsula, and Akron Northside stations. Passengers will enjoy a two-and-a-half-hour train ride through Cuyahoga Valley National Park in historic train cars. A variety of seating options for the National Park Scenic excursion, including coach, tabletop, suites, lounge, first-class, dome, executive and caboose. A coach ticket is an all-day pass where passengers can deboard at any station and re-board later. CVSR has included more Ales on Rails, Mystery Trail and other family fun events like Superheros on the Trail. Visit www.cvsr.com/ or by call1-800-468-4070, ext. 1, for tickets and more information.