LAKE TWP. The Lake Township Board of Trustees approved sending a 2-mill parks and recreation property tax levy to the Stark County Auditor to certify the amount generated during its regular meeting on Dec. 24.
The new levy will be on the May ballot and would be for 10-years. While the levy will be presented on the ballot as one levy, it has two parts. First, 1.5 mills will be used for the purchase of property and for infrastructure for a park adjacent to the road department off of Midway Street. The remaining 0.5 mill will be used for ongoing operating expenses for the park. The 1.5 mill will generate approximately $1.2 million a year for 10 years. The 0.5 mill will generate $399,413 a year for 10 years.
Trustee President John Arnold said, “We’ll ask voters to renew the operating part of the levy after the 10 years.”
The levy would start in tax year 2019 and be collectible starting in 2020.
Trustees sent the levy to the auditor to certify the amounts and to determine the cost to individual home owners.
- Authorized paying bills as of Dec. 24 in the amount of $114,081.
- Approved closing the Yard Waste Facility from Jan. 16 to March 31, 2019. Arnold said, “The Joint Solid Waste District doesn’t want us to be open for those months.”
- Authorized a new legal counsel for 2019. Tonya J. Rogers from Baker, Dublikar, Beck, Wiley and Mathews Law Firm in North Canton will be the new legal representative for the township at $3,500 a month for a one-year period.
- Renewed a contract with Michael Wells dba Wells Quality Excavating to do foundation work in the township’s cemeteries. Arnold said there is an increase from 45 cents to 47 cents per square inch.
- Approved purchasing two new GPS units at no additional costs but with a service contract for $23.95 per month per unit.
- Amended the cemetery pricing schedule to include $1,600 in disinterment fees.
- Approved an agreement with Earth ‘n Wood to transport and dispose of the yard waste from the Yard Waste Facility at $155 per container. The contract is for three years.
UP NEXT: Meets 8:30 a.m. Jan. 3 at Township Hall for an organizational meeting.