COVENTRY TWP. As 2018 comes to a close, the Coventry Local Schools Board of Education is already looking ahead to the next school year.
During the Dec. 19 board meeting, the board approved the district's 2019-20 school year calendar.
Students’ first day will be Aug. 19 and the school year will end May 29. Students will be off for Labor Day, Sept. 2; NEOEA Day, Oct. 11; and Election Day Nov. 5. Thanksgiving break will be Nov. 28 through Dec. 2 and winter break will be Dec. 23 through Jan. 3.
Students will also be off Jan. 20 for Martin Luther King Day and Presidents’ Day, Feb. 17. Spring break will take place March 23-27 and students will also be off April 10 and 13 for Easter. The final day off for students will be Memorial Day on May 25.
In other business Dec. 19, the board:
- Heard from Superintendent Lisa Blough about the Portage Lakes Career Center having a new superintendent. She said the hope is to work with them on some programs for special needs students so they can go straight into the workplace. Blough said this is an area Coventry has needed support in the past. She is excited for new opportunities for Coventry’s students.
- Heard from Blough also about the district’s continued efforts to focus on safety and security. She said recently the district added night lock devices on all the doors at the elementary school and now they are working on the doors at the middle school. She said the district was awarded a $10,000 grant from the Ohio Department of Education, which is being used for additional training and resources for staff when it comes to safety.
- Approved a contract with Applewood Center for a resident student to be placed in.
- Approved an agreement with Kent State for College Credit Plus.
- Entered executive session for the purpose of general financial issues, personnel and real estate with no action taken.
The next Coventry Local Schools board meeting will be 6 p.m. Jan. 9 at Coventry High School.