- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) will provide a complimentary train ride to veterans and their family members. CVSR invites veterans, active military, first responders and up to three family members to take a two-hour complimentary train ride through Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Several local and statewide veteran organizations will be in attendance this year. CVSR will host approximately 1,012 veterans and their families on the train; train cars are expected to be filled. Veterans and their families can choose to depart from Rockside Station, 7900 Old Rockside Road, at 9:30 a.m. or from Akron Rockside Station, 27 Ridge Street, at 3:30 p.m. Participants are encouraged to arrive at least a half hour before each train’s departure. CVSR invites passengers and the public to view a demonstration from the Color Guard at 9:10 a.m. at Rockside Station and at 2:40 p.m. at Akron Northside Station. To redeem tickets, visit https://www.cvsr.com/take-the-train/special-events/ or call 1-800-468-4070 ext. 1.
- Springfield Professional Fire Fighters Local 3040 is hosting an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at the Springfield Fire Department, 2454 E. Waterloo Road. The cost is two non-perishable food items per breakfast.
- The Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and Main Street have teamed up again and will be holding No Muffin Left Behind from 9 to 11 a.m. at the food bank, 350 Opportunity Parkway. No Muffin Left Behind shoppers can stock up their freezer and the Foodbank gets all the leftovers and a portion of the proceeds. Cookie Dough, muffin batter, granola, brownies and more.
- The Akron Press Club book sale will be held from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Summit County Historical Society, Perkins Stone Mansion, 550 Copley Road at South Portage Path. The sale provides a wonderful opportunity to buy new and gently used books, audio books, music and movies. Most items are priced at $5 or less. Proceeds from the annual book sale fund scholarships for local journalism, public relations and communications students.
- The Green Sibshop and Green Sibshop for Teens are free monthly recreational and fun programs in a safe environment for brothers and sisters of kids with special needs. Sibshop is for grades 3 through 6 Sibshop for Teens are for grades 7 through 12. The programs are free and take place at Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road. A meal is provided. More information, including registration, can be found at http://www.facebook.com/greensibshops/ or call 330-244-7650. Pre-registration requested. Sibshop is held from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and Sibshop for Teens is held from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at 1:15 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 725 Portage Lakes Drive. The topic is "Personal Safety for Seniors" and the speaker will be Deputy Paul Wright a lead instructor for the Summit County Prosecutor’s woman’s self-defense programs. Free refreshments will be served, and all are welcome.
- From 3 to 4:30 p.m., test your knowledge of the nature and history of Goodyear Heights Metro Park by answering trivia questions while hiking the trail. For information, call 330-865-8065. The park is at 550 Frazier Ave.
- Over the two nights participants will create a beautiful basket, woven atop an Amish-crafted pine base from 6 to 9 p.m. Nov. 13 and 14. Place it outside your favorite window or give it as a gift. Skill level is intermediate. Please bring a flat-head screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, towel and two-gallon bucket, if you can. Cost is $40/person register in advance at summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065. It takes place at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave.
- At 6 p.m. join in UNLIKELY a collaboration between ArtsNow and the Akron Civic Theatre. This event will feature food, music, film and conversation to celebrate the City of Akron and its incredible students. Set in the cities of Akron, Atlanta, Boston, and Los Angeles, UNLIKELY follows five individuals failed by America’s higher education system as they fight for a second chance at opportunity. Filmed in Akron between March 2016 and August 2017, UNLIKELY follows Clarissa Santana, a student enrolled in the Adult Focus Program at the University of Akron; and Miah Massey, an 11th grader in the LeBron James Family Foundation's I Promise Program. For more information and to register for this free event visit https://unlikely.eventbrite.com.
- Children ages 3 to 6 and their adult companions will learn about turkey vultures from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Program includes a hike and craft. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advance registration is required. Call 330-865-8065 for more information.
- Hike the 1.6-mile Prairie Trail two times at a vigorous pace from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at the Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. Beginners are welcome but talk to your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine. Drinking water is recommended. Good for spree credit. For information, call 330-865-8065.