The Veterans Service Commission of Summit County (VSC) is partnering with local employers to provide veterans with career training and employment opportunities during its "Job Boot Camp and Hiring Event." The event is from noon to 3 p.m. at place at VSC’s Akron headquarters, 1060 E. Waterloo Road. The free event will include an employment training workshop from 8 to 11 a.m. followed by a separate job fair from noon to 3 p.m. The event is open to all veterans and their spouses who are seeking employment or exploring new career opportunities. Preregistration is encouraged and is available online at www.VSCsummitOH.us or by calling 330-643-7636. Attendees should come dressed ready to interview and bring a copy of their DD Form 214 and resumes to hand potential employers. Transportation is available through Akron Metro RTA bus No. 2, via the Arlington route. For a schedule, visit www.AkronMetro.org. Summit County veterans and their families also can connect with the VSC at Facebook.com/SummitCountyVSC and Twitter.com/VSCsummitOH.
- New and experienced birders can join a naturalist for a fall bird walk from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. Binoculars are recommended. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Portage Path Behavioral Health is hosting KJ’s 5K for Mental Health and Animal Rescue. During his life, Kyle "KJ" Hamblin, loved running, and animals. KJ’s family and friends created KJ’s 5k in partnership with Portage Path Behavioral Health to honor the memory of KJ and all those we have lost to suicide. The event raises funds and awareness for suicide prevention, mental health treatment, and for animal rescue groups. Check-in starts at 8 a.m. and the 5k starts at 9 a.m. The event is held at Portage Lakes State Park, 5031 Manchester Road. It is a family and pet family event. Entry fees are $30 for adults, $15 ages 6 to 16 with kids 5 and under free. For more information, to register or volunteer, visit http://www.PortagePath.org/kjs5k
- Ohio native and Nashville singer/songwriter Mark Leach will be celebrating his next album release with a show at 7 p.m. at Goodyear Theatre, 1201 E. Market Street. The show will highlight Leach’s newest album release, including fan favorite and summer anthem, "Back Porch Vacation" as well as other hits including "I Come from Ohio" and "She Don’t go to Church." To order tickets, www.ticketfly.com/event/1737516-mark-leach-akron/
- Celebrate the lives of all who have fought the battle against breast cancer and help raise awareness for the importance of education, screening and early detection of breast cancer with "Paint the Park Pink" from 10 a.m. to noon at Lock 3 at 200 S. Main Street. Visit Lock3live.com for a list of events. LockNext, located on Main Street at Lock 3, between Oct. 2 and 5 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. to purchase muffins prior to the event to support Akron General’s Muffins for mammograms.
- Paddle the Cuyahoga River from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m. at the Gorge to see towering rock ledges and breathtaking scenery from your kayak. Minimum age is 13; ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult participant. Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and be able to swim. Bring water, sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses and wear clothes that can get wet. Fee includes instruction and loan of kayak, paddle and life jacket. The cost is $15 per person and registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065. The park is located at 1160 Front Street.
- Akron has been chosen to welcome the nationally renowned Public Theatre Mobile Unit for a free staging of Sweat in Kenmore’s Masonic Temple. From 6 to 9 p.m., the Public Theater Mobile Unit will be at Kenmore’s Masonic Temple, 1009 Kenmore Blvd. Tickets are free, seats are limited and can be reserved by visiting sweatkenmore.eventbrite.com.
- The Springfield/Lakemore Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Business and Consumer Expo on from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Springfield High School. The cost per table is $75 for non-chamber members, $50 for any local chamber members and $25 for non-profits. A few vendor spots are available. If interested register soon. The chamber is also looking for sponsors with a cost per sponsor level of Platinum Sponsor, $500, Gold Sponsor, $300, Silver Sponsor, $200 and Bronze Sponsor, $100. Contact Natalie Mitchell at 330-730-3355 or Rich Cole at 330-414-5258 by text and include your name and the name of your business.