- Join in a retreat July 20-22 with the Saints-Their Lives, Our Lives at Loyola Retreat House, 700 Killinger Road, with special Retreat Director Fr. Jeremy Merzweiler. Arrival is Friday at 5:30 p.m., with dinner served at 6 p.m. The cost is $165 per person. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or visit loyolaretreathouse.com.
- Wigs for Kids is hosting the 12th annual Wigs for Kids Day at the Zoo 5K Run and 1-Mile Fun Walk along with a nationwide cut-a-thon at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. conditions. Since 1981, thousands of children in the United States have been served by Wigs for Kids. For more information or to sign up for the Wigs for Kids Day visit wigsforkids.org/wigs-for-kids-day-at-the-zoo for event details. The 5K run and 1- mile walk are $30 for pre-registration and $35 the day of the event. For children 10 and under, the 1-mile walk is $20. For more information or to register, visit wigsforkids.org/wigs-for-kids-day-at-the-zoo.
- Try stand-up paddleboarding to get a workout and enjoy nature at Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park/Lot C6, 6194 Christman Road. No experience needed. Minimum age is 13 and those ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult participant. Participants must wear closed-toe shoes and be able to swim. Bring water, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and wear clothes that can get wet. Fee includes loan of paddleboard, paddle, life jacket and instruction. Space is limited and cost is $15 a person. Registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A rummage sale will be held at Green Valley United Methodist Church, 620 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. A preview sale will be held July 20 from 5 to 7 p.m. and will cost $5. Proceeds from the sale go to missions. For more information, contact the church at (330) 896-4357 or www.greenvalleyumc.com.
- The Akron Sail and Power Squadron (ASPS) will teach on-the-water kayak a paddle board seminar from 6 to 9 p.m. at Craftsmen Park Portage Lakes, 4450 Rex Lake Road. The seminar is open to the public and attendees will learn how to safely and skillfully operate kayaks and paddle boards. Bring a towel, a change of dry clothes, sunscreen, a hat or visor and a bottle of water. The seminar fee is $35 and includes handout materials. There is a limit of 10 kayakers and 10 paddleboarders to each class. To register, visit http://akronpowersquadron.com/wp/education/paddle-smart/ or call Robert Ball at 330-322-7975.
- The Springfield High School Class of 1973 will celebrate its 45th reunion July 27-29. At 6 p.m. July 27, there will be an informal meet-and-greet at the Iron Grill at Gala Common, 2215 Waterloo Road. At 6 p.m. July 28, there will be a buffet dinner at Bricco Prime, 4315 Manchester Road. Cost is $40 per person. At noon, July 29, a covered dish cookout and picnic will be at Lakemore Waterworks Park, 2834 Sanitarium Road. Guests are encouraged to bring a covered dish. For more information, go to "SHS Class of 1973" on Facebook, or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Springfield Rocks summer concert series will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Lakefront Park Gazebo, 2491 Canfield Road. Dave, Jeff and the House Band (Beatles and Eagles 60s to 80s) will perform. The concert is free to the public. For inclement weather updates, call the concert hotline at 330-794-1739.
- Discover the excitement of dragon boat racing/paddling and create your own team of 21 friends, family/coworkers for this fun summer event. It’s a full day of fun in the sun at Portage Lakes State Park, 5031 Manchester Road, to support breast cancer awareness and survivors. Absolutely no experience necessary and its free to attend. Sponsorship opportunities and team registration information can be found on Facebook @dragonsonthelake or by calling Sara at 330-310-5259.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General invites the community to help celebrate the anticipated opening of its new state-of-the-art emergency department during a free community open house from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 1 Akron General Ave. Tour the new emergency department, visit health information tables, have your blood pressure checked, enter your name to win a new Trek 7-speed mountain bike and helmet, and enjoy light refreshments. Complimentary parking will be available in the Ambulatory Care Center parking garage, building #303. The emergency department will open to new patients at 7 a.m. on July 31. For more information, visit akrongeneral.org/ED.
Portage Lakes Branch Library, 4261 Manchester Road, presents "Pirates: Fact or Fantasy?" at 6 p.m. Captain Blade and the Pirates of the Rusty Cutlass lead participants on a high-sea adventure discussing pirate facts, lore and legend while showcasing unique pirate treasures. Presented in full costume and character. Appropriate for ages 12 and up. No registration necessary. For more information, call 330-644-7050.
- The Summit County Metro Parks is holding Wild Things campt for children ages 5 to 14 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Lodge, 40 Axline Ave. Naturalists will lead different age groups on nature-themed adventures, and day-campers will explore a park with fun, hands-on activities. Campers will hike, discover what’s in streams, make a take-home craft and learn all about the creatures that live in the Metro Parks. Each camp is $50 per child. Registration is required in advance for each camp and can be made online at 330tix.com.