GREEN The Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC) Board of Education accepted the resignation of Superintendent Benjamin Moore, effective July 5.
Moore has accepted a position as Superintendent of Catholic Education for the Diocese of Venice, Fla. In his new position, he will be responsible for the Office of Catholic Schools in the Diocese of Venice which consists of 16 schools and 4,777 students, as well as the Office of Religious Education which supports 61 parishes.
Moore stated in a news release that he is humbled and blessed to assume the role of superintendent of Catholic Education of the Diocese of Venice.
"I am grateful for the opportunity to apply my education and experience in service of our faith," he said. "Partnering with families and schools I will work tirelessly in pursuit of our common goal to prepare all students to be servant leaders and disciples of Christ. I am excited to continue the tradition of excellence within the schools of the Diocese and I look forward to contributing to future success."
Other resignations that were approved by the board at its June 21 meeting were:
- Savannah Greenwood, assistant to the treasurer I, effective June 30.
- Lori Huber, practical nursing coordinator, effective Aug. 13.
- Laurel Young, assistant treasurer, effective July 4.
- Approved employment contracts for the 2018-19 school year for support staff and approved Greenwood as assistant to the treasurer. High School one-year limited contracts were approved for Ilario Cursaro, school counselor; Peter Hannan, part-time teacher; and Allyson Himmelright, school counselor.
- Adult Education one-year limited contracts that were approved by the board included Gary Bradford, adult education industrial maintenance technician instructor; and Kimberly Robinson, adult education program manager.
- Also approved was a one-year contract of $30,000 for Vocational Assessment Services with Career Assessment Systems, effective July through June 30, 2019.
- The board also approved a list of substitutes for the 2018-19 school year.
- Donations were accepted from Rice’s Landscapes Redefined of mixed vegetables and herbs seed packets; Bloom Bagz – Raised bed planters; Rice’s Nursery and Landscape handle bags; Rice’s Nursery boxes; Rice’s barrel bags with handles; four-inch multi-color speed sleeves (pot cover); and 6-inch multi-color speed sleeves (pot cover).
A special meeting was held June 26 where the board entered executive session to consider the appointment, employment, or compensation of an employee or official of the school district and to prepare for negotiations or bargaining sessions with public employees. Following the executive session, the board announced the hire of interim superintendent William Stauffer, effective July 6. Stauffer is retired from Springfield Local Schools. The board also will engage the Summit Educational Service Center to conduct the superintendent search.
UP NEXT The next regular board meeting will be held at 6 p.m., July 21 at the career center.