SPRINGFIELD TWP. During the April 26 Springfield Township Trustees meeting, a resolution ratifying the tentative agreement between the Springfield Township Administrator and Teamsters Local #436 was approved.
Also, during the meeting, received insurance money paid to the township was used to purchase and replace damaged items. Due to damage of picnic tables at Lakefront Park, the township received $6,100 from the insurance company to repair/replace the tables. Township Administrator, Warren Price said they were able to repair the tables which allotted money to purchase more tables for the Lakefront Park at no cost to the township. The tables were purchased from Bright Idea Shops.
Insurance dollars were also received for a totaled police cruiser at $18,000 and a damaged cruiser in the amount of $7,425.
In a cost cutting move, the department replaced the totaled police cruiser by purchasing a 2016 Ford cruiser from Bath Township in an amount not to exceed $15,000. Price said the 2016 cruiser is in good condition and saved the township from purchasing a more expensive new cruiser.
Contracts approved by the trustees at the meeting included:
- Best Commercial Energy Services for HVAC Repairs to Township Hall in an amount not to exceed $7,450.00.
- For the Road Department, a resolution with Ray Bertonlini Trucking Bituminous Pavement Systems and H. Luli Construction for the 2018 Pavement Maintenance Program in a total amount not to exceed $103,131.40.
- Expenditures were authorized for work on the Spartan Trail that included a contract with Brush Bandit Tree Service for debris cleanup services not to exceed $11,000 and a contract with Warren H. Stones and Sons for excavation services not to exceed $18,000. Trustee Dean Young said there was a time period under environmental regulations that they had to commit to cut trees before April 1 and after Nov. 1 as Indiana Bats are coming into the area. Volunteers were out the past weekend to clean up junk along the north side of the plaza. He said there are about 17 acres in the area around the plaza that is planned for possible development and the trail will be worked around that area.
- It was approved for the township administrator to recruit and hire up to six part-time seasonal parks employees at an hourly rate not to exceed $11 per hour.
- Trustees approved an increase in the hourly wage for Keith Fox, a seasonal parks employee from $11.75 per hour to $16 per hour.
- Resident Al Blosser asked trustees if they were doing anything about the proposed $4 a month storm water charge? Trustee, Dean Young said they have not received any details about it yet. Blosser also spoke about the septic system license. He said he was the only person in his neighborhood who received the $25 charge. Young said he was not familiar enough to speak on the subject and they would check into it. will check into it.
The next regular trustees meeting will be held at 6 p.m., May 10 at Town Hall on Canfield Road.