JACKSON TWP.  The Lil’ Lambs Closet Consignment Sale for spring and summer is coming on March 9 and 10 at the Church of the Lakes on Fulton Drive in Jackson Township. The infant to young adult clothing and baby items sale is held twice a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. There is also a toy sale held in December.

The sale benefits sellers, buyers and organizations that help children in need. The consignors get to sell items they no longer need. The buyers get good deals on items they do need. And, non-profits and other organizations that help children in need receive donations to help them help others.

This is the 14th year for the sale and it has benefited more than 126 organizations since 2003. Chairperson Renee Wolfe said the sale was started by a previous church member who was looking for a way to sell off baby items from her triplets.

"Misty Arnold started the sale and managed it until she moved in 2008. It grew every year since then and today we generate between $45,000 and $50,000 in sales for each of the two clothing sales," Wolfe said. "The consignors receive 70 percent of the sale price and we keep and donate the remaining 30 percent. We take our expenses for running and promoting the sale out of our percentage. We also make a donation to our inner-city church and we offer two $750 scholarships to youth in our church. The remaining funds get divided among three or four organizations."

Wolfe added that over the three sales they hold each year, they donate between $30,000 and $36,000 to organizations. She said the committee meets each January to determine the organizations to donate to from each sale.

Wolfe said donations this spring will go to Just us Boyz of Canton; Plain Local Store, a clothing and food pantry started by Plain Local Schools; and Erika’s Lighthouse, a national organization that provides education for teen depression. It will also be taking one-dollar donations at the checkout stations for TomTod Ideas for Camp What If.

Wolfe said they usually collect between $500 and $800 dollars with the checkout donations. Plus, the group donated $1,000 to Perry Intervention Prevention at Perry Local Schools.

"We usually hold some money in reserve for emergency situations for when an organization needs to help someone immediately. We felt the Perry Intervention Prevention donation was one that couldn’t wait for our spring sale so we made the donation earlier this year," Wolfe said.

The unsold items from the clothing and baby equipment sales either go back to the consigners or get donated to groups such as Fairless Helping Fairless, Pregnancy Support Center, the YWCA and others. Donations from the toy sale in December go to organizations that help provide Christmas gifts and other items over the holidays.

The sale is set up in a retail store layout with clothing racks and specific sections for books, furniture, shoes and other items. All of the items are bar coded for easy check out at the eight registers.

"We used to have a manual process for the sale where we hand wrote the price tags. We’ve computerized the sale with bar codes and checkout lanes with computerized registers. We can now cut the check for the consigners right after the sale ends.

Items are in like new or slightly used condition and are examined for missing buttons, broken zippers, stains and whether it is clean. Items that don’t meet the standards are sent back to the consigner who can then donate the item to the as is, $1 sale bin or take them back.

Consignors are mostly from Stark County, but Wolfe said they get people selling and buying from all over Ohio.

"We are packed full both days for the sale. A line starts forming at 8 a.m. on the first day and it’s wrapped around the building by the time we open at 10 a.m. It’s a highly organized sale. Checkout is well organized and goes quickly. And, it helps those who need help," Wolfe said.

She added that consignors and shoppers can keep up-to-date by visiting the Facebook page at Lil’ Lambs Closet Jackson.