NORTH CANTON  The commons areas and the hallways of Hoover High School were lined with local artisans selling items made from metal, wool, glass, clay and much more during the North Canton Lions Club’s annual fall craft show on Oct. 4.

The craft show is hosted twice a year, one show is held in the spring and the second show is held in the fall, generally in October. Craft show chairman Bill Humphrey said the shows are the club’s main fundraisers.

"We’ve been hosting the spring show for well over 20 years and we took over the fall show six years ago, the fall show was hosted by the Northwood PTA before we took it over," Humphrey said. "We also host a bake sale and the concession during both shows and run a raffle of prizes donated by the vendors. The average proceeds from each sale is around $4,000," he said.

Humphrey said the proceeds go to a number of projects the North Canton Lions Club is involved with throughout the year. The Club donates to Wishes Can Happen, Camp Echoing Hills, The Ohio State Marching Band for the Blind, North Canton Meals on Wheels, Cross Eyed Mission where glasses get donated to person in third world countries and much more. Members of the Club also donate their time to volunteer once a month at the Akron-Canton Regional Food Bank.

"Most of the crafters and artists are local with a few from around the state," Humphrey said. "We’ve also had vendors from other states. It’s a well-known craft show for both shoppers and vendors."

Many vendors were making items out of recycled materials. Cheryl Rastetter from Aberdeen’s Attic in Wooster was selling wool gloves made out of recycled wool sweaters.

"I donate all the scraps of wool left over from each pair of gloves to the Holmes County Humane Society where they make pet beds for the dogs and cats in the system to use," Rastetter said.

Three seniors from Hoover High School's Senior Business Class, sponsored by Junior Achievement, had their business, Beelieve, set up to sell seed bombs (pods). James Huff said the company’s mission is to help rejuvenate honey bee colonies.

"Our company makes the seed bombs from water and recycled paper from the school and then we put flower seeds in the mixture," Huff said.

The members of the company then shape the seed bombs into different and interesting shapes to sell five to a bag. Flowers included in the seed bombs are marigolds, blue wildflowers and cosmos.

Annie King and Marissa Shulik from Artistica were selling decorative wine bottle lights. The two artists gather used wine bottles from friends, family and local restaurants and fill the bottles with string lights to make the wine bottle lights. They also melt down the bottles to make serving platters.

"We melt the bottle in a kiln and then add beading and other bling items to it and they make great platters to serve cheese, meats or olives," said Shulik. "Wine bottles are so beautiful as they are so we thought why throw them away so we found a way to reuse them."

Humphrey said the club tries to get a good mix of new and repeat vendors every show.

"The show has such a good reputation among vendors and shoppers and they know we hold them around the same time very spring and fall," he said. "We are fortunate to have around 70 percent of the vendors who are repeats and the remaining 30 percent are new. It keeps the shoppers interested and makes for a great show."