JACKSON TWP. The Jackson Local Schools Board of Education recognized winter sports athletes and coaches during its regular meeting on April 18.
Athletic Director Terry Peterson presented the following coaches:
- Tim Debevec (boys basketball) - Federal League, District 4, Northeast Inland District and Division I Ohio coach of the year.
- Matt Ziders (boys swimming) - Federal League Coach of the Year
The following athletes were recognized:
- Kyle Young (boys basketball) - Federal League Player of the Year; first team All-Ohio; District 4 and Northeast Inland District Player of the Year.
- Kailey Bonniwell (girls bowling) - First team All Federal League; second team All Stark County; and state qualifier.
- Braxton Freeman and Victor Marcelli (Wrestling) - State qualifiers
- Jason Tondra (boys swimming) - First team All Federal League; All Ohio in 400 freestyle relay
- Sean Ream (boys swimming) - First team All Federal League; All Ohio in 200 and 400 freestyle relay
- Franklin Shew (boys swimming) - First team All Federal League; four-time state qualifier; All Ohio in the 200 medley and 200 freestyle relay; school record in the 200 medley relay, 200 meter butterfly, 100 breaststroke and 50 butterfly split.
Leanna Myers, Zach Werstler, Nick Dye, Josh Fehlman, Ted Kinney (swimming) - State qualifiers.
- Paid the bills in the amount of $4.86 million.
- Heard that the Jackson Memorial Middle School mock trial team scored an average of 99 points at a recent Ohio Mock Trial competition to achieve an Excellent rating.
- Approved setting the board’s retreat meeting to 8 to 9:30 a.m. July 27, with the regular July board meeting to follow at 10 a.m.
- Accepted $37,403 in donations from various scholarship programs and organizations.
- Approved the Jackson High School restoration program to repair four sections of the roof of the high school at a cost of $399,896.
UP NEXT: The Board will meet next at 5 p.m. May 16 at Jackson Memorial Middle School.