- Area students can overcome testing anxieties and learn new skills to record higher ACT marks after joining a local test-preparation course. They will master testing strategies, conquer core subjects and build confidence to ace the college entrance exam and stay competitive among their peers for college admission and scholarships. A five-session course is offered from 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning Feb. 14 at Wadsworth High School, 635 Broad Street. The weekly sessions are made up of small classes and offer individual and group instruction. To register or receive more information, call Laura Icardi of ACT Test Preparation at 330-722-7235, or email licardi@ActTestPrep.info. Parents and students also can visit the website at www.ActTestPrep.info or Facebook.
- The Summit County Metro Parks is hosting an information session from 7 to 8 p.m. about the 10-week series on the ways past participants in the "Couch to 5K" training series have described the annual program. The program will be held at the parks' auditorium, 1828 Smith Road. Naturalist and runner Elizabeth Kresse will describe what series participants can expect and answer questions. ‘Couch’ participants will meet every Sunday morning, beginning at 9 a.m. March 5 for a group run and to discuss different running topics with experts from Cleveland Clinic Akron General and Second Sole. Registration is not required for the information session. However, registration is required for the training series. The cost is $40 per person, which includes a training shirt and admission to the May 14 Mother’s Day 5K in Munroe Falls Metro Park (521 S. River Rd., Munroe Falls). For information about the Mother’s Day 5K and the Couch to 5K series, visit summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065.
- Preschool and day care personnel training will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 16 and Feb. 23 by Summit County Children on recognizing and reporting child abuse and neglect. The six-hour class will be held at the Children's Services main building, 264 S. Arlington St.. To receive credit, participants must be on time and attend both evenings. Also, a three-hour review training will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 7 at the Summit County Children Services' main building. Space is limited. Register on the website at summitkids.org; click on the links located in the story entitled "Child Abuse and Neglect Training for Child Care Professionals." Those interested can also contact Lisa Hamilton-Green by phone at 330-379-2090 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AFPNEO (Association for Fundraising Professionals-Northeast Ohio Chapter (AFPNEO) will present the 2017 Career Success Institute (CSI) March 17 at Kent State University at Stark. The CSI professional development workshop focuses on expanding best practices in fundraising for development professionals, board members, volunteers and professional advisors. This year's CSI is Fill Your Pot With Fundraising Gold and features a new intensive workshop format led by Dr. Jerry Panas, Executive Partner of Jerold Panas, Linzy & Partners. Check-in: 7:45 to 8:15 a.m. (Continental breakfast provided) and program is from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Lunch to follow). Cost for AFP Members: $75 and Not-Yet-Members: $120 (lunch included). Register by Feb. 17 to receive a $10 discount. Organizations that sign up four or more people can register all at the membership rate. To register or for more information, including the flyer, visit http://afpneo.org/csi.htm.
- NewPointe Community Church (Dover Campus) will host Night to Shine, sponsored by the Tim Tebow Foundation. Night to Shine is an unforgettable prom night experience centered on God’s love for people with special needs, ages 14 and older. This worldwide movement is set to take place in all 50 states and 10 countries around the world. Every guest enters the complimentary event on a red carpet, complete with a warm welcome from a friendly crowd and paparazzi. Once inside, guests receive the royal treatment, including hair and makeup stations, shoe-shining areas, limousine rides, corsages and boutonnieres, a catered dinner, karaoke, prom favors for each honored guest and a dance floor all leading up to the moment when each guest is crowned king or queen of the prom. To register, visit newpointe.org/nighttoshine. The church is at 3950 State Route 39 NW, Dover.
- A Swiss Steak dinner will be held from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Grace United Church of Christ. In addition to a full dinner, hot dogs are available for children and Grace youth will sell pop for $1 as an activity fundraiser. Dinner is $9 for adults, $4 for ages 4 to 12 and free for ages 3 and under. The building is wheelchair accessible. No reservations needed and walk-in carryout meals are available. Gluten-free meals only must be ordered in advance by calling the Grace church office at 330-699-3255.
- Akron General Community Access and Wellness is offering low-cost bone, glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required and free parking is provided. Cholesterol and blood glucose screenings are done by a finger-stick test. The bone density screening is a fast, painless ultrasound. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-896-5000 with questions.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet Feb 13 at 1:15 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 727 Portage Lakes Drive. The Rubber Capital Harmonica Club will entertain. Free refreshments will be served and all are welcome.
- Springfield Township Woman's Club will hold its meeting 6:30 p.m. at the Senior/Community Center on the lake. Speaker for the evening will be local author Linda Lonsdorf. All area ladies are welcome.
- The Cities Without Drugs Task Force, the Green Fire Division, and Summit County Sheriff Department will present an update on the opiate epidemic in Summit County and within the City of Green at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will be held at Fire Station No. 1, 4200 Massillon Road. Crime and response statistics will be shared along with details on how our safety services are managing these issues. In addition, resources and information for families and those impacted by drug abuse will be shared. Light refreshments will be served. All meetings are open to all residents of Green. A neighborhood information meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. at Fire Station No. 1, 4200 Massillon Road. For more information, visit www.cityofgreen.org/cities-without-drugs.
- Enjoy and evening of foot stompin' blue grass music and a covered dish dinner from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road (at Center Road). Bring your favorite covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. The church is wheelchair accessible. Donations welcome. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- The distinguished 2017 Akron Heart Ball will be held from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. The lifesaving event will shine the spotlight on the mission of building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke and support ongoing health research and education in communities across the nation. The theme is "The Carnival of Life" and guests will enjoy entertainment, featuring both a live and silent auction with many exciting items, a heart healthy dinner and entertainment from Special Request. A silent auction will be conducted via bidding from guests’ mobile devices. To volunteer for the Akron Heart Ball, obtain sponsorship information or reserve your seat, contact Edwin Hubbard Jr. at 330-664-1907 or Edwin.email@example.com. Additional information may also be found at akronheartball.heart.org.
- Snow Art will be held at Firestone Metro Park/Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. Come out and learn new, creative ways to brighten your days and enjoy the snowy weather. Dress to play outdoors. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- "I Dream of Spring" will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks area, 40 Axline Ave. Wildflowers, butterflies and birds are on their way. Cheer up with a slideshow of all things spring. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- An adult Financial Planning presentation will be held at the Green Branch Library at 6 p.m. The program is presented by Robert Moser of Edward Jones. Register in advance at the library or by calling 330-896-9074. The library is at 4046 Massillon Road.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Goodyear Lodge in Goodyear Heights Metro Park, is a program about owls for children 3 to 6 years old and their adult companions. Youngsters can discover "whooo" is raising the young this time of year and includes a hike and craft. Please make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Registration required. For information or to register, call 330-865-8065. The park is located at 2077 Newton Street.
- Attend a free information session on weight-loss surgery hosted by Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s Bariatric Center at 6 p.m. at Akron General Hospital, 1 Akron General Avenue. Led by bariatric surgeons, each session will give an overview of the different types of weight-loss surgeries offered, who may qualify and the support provided by Akron General’s Bariatric Center before and after surgery. In addition, attendees will hear about the patient journey first-hand from post-operative patients, and an insurance coordinator will be on hand to answer any questions regarding coverage, eligibility and average cost. There is no cost to attend, but registration is appreciated and can be completed by calling 330-344-1950 or by registering online at akrongeneral.org/bariatric.
- Heartful Hike and Breakfast will be held from 8 to 10:30 a.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park, 2077 Newton Street. Join in for a brisk winter hike and hearty breakfast. Participants will be asked to contribute to the feast. For information or to register, call 330-865-8065.
- Couples 18 and older can join in the fun of Archery Games for Couples from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Play different games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Register in advance by calling 330-865-8065. The park is at 40 Axline Ave.
- Do you have what it takes to survive the winter ... underwater? Stroll along the Towpath Trail to learn how aquatic creatures battle the cold. The Metro Park's program will be held from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail/Manchester Road Trailhead, 2740 Manchester Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 1 to 2:30 p.m., join in the fun of Archery Games for Families at Firestone Park. Families with children 9 and older will play different games to build archery skills. Participants must have already taken one of the Intro to Archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. For information, call 330-865-8065. Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area is at 40 Axline Avenue.
- An Archery Open Shoot will be held from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Register for a half-hour time slot to improve your shot. Participants must have already taken our Intro to Archery and Archery Games programs. All equipment provided. For information, or to register call 330-865-8065.
- Author Ann Kathleen Otto will discuss her book "Yours In A Hurry" at 6 p.m. at the Green Branch Library. Otto's novel is about a family in turn-of-the-century Ohio. For more information, call 330-896-9074. The library is at 4046 Massillon Road.
- Hike more than five miles at a vigorous pace with few, if any, rest stops. Beginners are welcome, but talk to your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine. The hike is from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A spiritual reflection and feast will be held for the preparation of Lent. The evening will be directed by Abbot Clement Zeleznik, and begins with a social at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 6:15 p.m. and the reflection will be at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $25 per person. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- Akron General Community Access and Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required and free parking is provided. Cholesterol and blood glucose screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8248 with questions.
- The Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles is offering a free lecture on "NuFit: Nutrition & Fitness Education for a New You!" The hour-long program covers two topics and provides information about the latest in nutrition and fitness, new recipes, tips and more from a registered dietitian and fitness expert. The class will focus on "Busting the Top 10 Carb Myths" and "Fit or Fiction." It is held from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To register, call 330-896-5000.