GREEN Members of the Portage Lakes Career Center (PLCC) Board of Education held an organizational meeting and regular board meeting Jan. 12.
During the organizational meeting, PLCC Treasurer Chris Wright administered the oath of office to all board members. Board members representing their home school districts on the Career Center Board are: Glenn Wieland, president (Springfield); David Andrews, vice president (Coventry) Bob Campbell (Green); David Cohen (Green); Mary Lou Dodson (Springfield); Dave Hofer (Springfield); Cindy McDonald (Manchester); Mark Tallman (Manchester) and Robert Wohlgamuth (Coventry).
In other business:
- Members of the board approved the 2017 meeting schedule. Meetings are held in the lecture room of the school at 6 p.m. The dates of upcoming meetings are March 16, April 20, May 18, June 15, July 20, Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 19, Nov. 16 and Dec. 21.
- Andrews was appointed as legislative liaison to the Ohio School Board Association and Tallman was appointed as student achievement liaison.
- Policies and laws were also approved by the members of the board for the new year.
- Approved the resignation of Melanie Deckard, practical nursing part-time instructor, effective Jan. 2.
- Approved the following contracts: Dawn Simpson, long-term substitute teacher, $125 per day, maximum 60 days, no benefits; and Michele Steurer, practical nursing part-time clinical instructor, $28 per hour, 900 hours maximum, no benefits.
- Kimberly Fulks was added her to the 2016-17 substitute list.
- The board approved a memorandum of understanding with the University of Akron to operate an Early College High School.
- The board recommended and approved a resolution to withdraw from the Memorandum of Understanding among Portage Lakes JVSD and its Associate School Districts regarding Board appointments. This MOU changes the parameters for appointing board members to the way it was in 2013.
The board will hold a work session prior to the next board meeting at 5:15 p.m. Feb. 16. The regular meeting will be held at 6 p.m.