JACKSON TWP. Jackson Township trustees entered into a Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) with the city of Canton for 58 acres of vacant property behind the Home Depot store in the Strip.
During the regular meeting on Jan. 24, the Jackson Township Trustees held a public hearing for the proposed JEDD. Nobody atteneded and spoke against the deal.
The land, owned by Dressler Properties, is bounded by Strip Avenue, Portage Street, Frank Avenue and Applegrove Street.
Once the land is developed, the city of Canton will split its 2 percent income tax with the township, which would be levied on anybody working construction at the site and people who would eventually would be employed there.
- Approved paying bills in the amount of $1.9 million
- Recognized Fire Inspector Ralph DeChiara for being awarded the Fire Official of the Year for 2016 by the Five-County Building Association.
- Swore in part-time patrol officer Ryan M. Risher. His salary is $17 an hour, effective Jan. 14.
- Approved the purchase of five radios for the police department for a total of $20,049. Chief Mark Brink said the department has a shortage of radios because of adding new full and part-time police officers.
- Approved using polygraph examination services from the Stark County Sherriff’s department.
- Approved purchasing a 2017 Ford F250 truck from Waikem Auto Group for the police department at a cost of $30,776.
- Authorized the purchase of five police cruisers from Waikem Auto Group at a cost of $30,521 per vehicle and equipment at a cost of $8,551 per vehicle.
- Approved purchasing a 2017 F550 truck chassis for the highway department from Waikem Auto Group at a cost of $31,111.
- Accepted the following sponsorship donations to the 2017 Community Celebration: $500 each from Bell Store’s Marathon and Clemans-Nelson & Associates, $250 each from Excalibur Fence Company, Lloyd Seifer FOP Lodge #206 and Terry’s Truck & Trailer and $100 from Sutphen Corporation.
UP NEXT: The next regularly scheduled meeting is 5 p.m. Feb. 14 at the Township Hall.