- The "Light of the World Retreat" will be held Nov. 11 through 14 at the Queen of Heaven Parish Life Center, 1800 Steese Road. On Nov. 11 and Nov. 14, the event is held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. On Nov. 12 and 13, the time is 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The retreat is a world-wide program of Light of the World Evangelization Ministries and is open to all 18 years of age and older. All meals and refreshments will be provided. There is no charge, but a free-will offering will be welcome. To register or more information, call 330-896-2345.
- The Springfield Township Parks Department is seeking public input on the proposed Spartan Trail project, which will start at the north side of Tri-County Plaza and run south to Waterworks Park and continue to Sanitarium Road and the Springfield High School complex with the Ohio Edison easement. Additional information is available at www.springfieldtownship.us. Comments can be made through Nov. 14.
- Lake High School will host a Veterans Day Celebration from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. to honor those that have fought for the country and freedom. All veterans and their families are invited to attend. An informal morning reception will be held for veterans prior to the ceremony in the Lake High School Cafeteria beginning at 7:45 a.m. The ceremony includes speakers and music. Enter door No. 7 off Market Avenue by the Lake Community Library or door No. 5 by the YMCA.
- The University of Akron is holding a continental breakfast, open to all veterans, at 8 a.m. in the Student Union Ballroom. At 9 a.m., Ret. Lt. Col. Bradley P. Harvey, UA's director of military/veteran student programs, will give a keynote address. Immediately following that, a wreath laying ceromony takes place at Coleman Commons to honor all veterans, with UA President Matthew Wilson to speak. From 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Musson Veterans Lounge on the third floor at InfoCision Stadium, veterans will be honored for patriotism. Refreshments and door prizes will be provided at the free and public event. Additionally, there will be a Veterans Resource Fair.
- Kids and Holiday Grief will be offered by the Cleveland Clinic Akron General Visiting Nurse Service from 5 to 7 p.m. The free support group is designed for children ages 5 to 11 who have experienced a significant loss, such as a parent, sibling or grandparent. The group will be held at the Cleveland Clinic Akron General Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center, 3358 Ridgewood Road, Copley. Enrollment is limited. For more information or for questions, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, Ext. 4662.
- One of A Kind Pet Rescue is hosting a major fundraising event, Whiskers & Tales, will be held at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn, 3180 West Market Street. The event will feature strolling dinner and dessert tables, bar and entertainment. Both a silent and live auction will be available, plus hands-on activities and opportunities to share stories about your pets. Tickets are $100 per person, and include the dinner and a beverage ticket. Patron level tickets are available for $200 per person. Tickets may be purchased online at www.oneofakindpets.com/whiskers.
- Avoiding Financial Errors in Divorce Settlement will be held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Green Branch Library. The program is presented by Scott Haley. Areas covered in this workshop include: child support; spousal support; property division; retirement accounts; and example case studies. Register in advance.
- Join the Fall Prairie Hike from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. A naturalist will take hikers on a leisurely stroll to enjoy all that fall has to offer. Good for spree credit. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Join Hope Lutheran Church, 999 Portage Lakes Drive, in its annual Sausage Supper fundraiser from 5 to 7 p.m. This tradition features Hope Lutheran's secret sausage recipe, mashed potatoes, green beans, sauerkraut, bread, coffee, water and dessert. Visit the soda girls to purchase an ice-cold beverage. all proceeds benefit the Hope Lutheran Group activities. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children four and older. Tickets are available by calling 330-644-3522.
- The University of Akron will host the Military Charity Ball from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m. at the Quaker Station Ballroom. Cost is $35 and features dinner. Money raised will go toward "Wags4Warriors," a local veterans charity that provides service dogs. Contact Daryll Mauder at email@example.com or the Military Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grace United Church of Christ, 13275 Cleveland Ave., Uniontown, will hold a basket raffle and swiss steak dinner from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m. Tickets for the raffle are $1 each or six for $5, and winners do not need to be present to win. Dinner is $9 for adults, $4 for ages 4-12 and children under 3 are free. Hot dogs are available as an alternative for children, and Grace UCC youth will sell pop for $1 as an activity fundraiser. No reservations are needed and walk-in, carryout meals are welcome. Gluten-free meals only must be ordered in advance by calling the Grace church office at 330-699-3255, from 9 a.m. until noon Monday-Friday.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at 1:15 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 727 Portage Lakes Drive. Local author Linda Lonsdorf will be the speaker. Refreshments will be served and all are welcome.
- A neighborhood information meeting and an update on the opiate epidemic in Summit County and within the City of Green will be held at 6:30 p.m. at fire station No. 1, 4200 Massillon Road. Crime and response statistics will be shared along with details on how safety services are managing these issues. In addition, resources and information for families and those impacted by drug abuse will be shared. Light refreshments will be served. This is the first in a series of meetings and will provide hyper-local statistics from Ward 1. Visit www.cityofgreen.org/cities-without-drugs for more information.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General is offering a free six-week smoking cessation class using the American Lung Association’s "Freedom From Smoking" Program. Taught by Tobacco Treatment Specialists, the group sessions feature a step-by-step plan for quitting smoking. The class will meet from 5:30-7 p.m. on Tuesdays, Nov. 15 through Dec. 20, with an additional class Dec. 8, at Akron General, Heart and Vascular Center, Cardiac Classroom 1544, 1 Akron General Ave. The class size is limited, advance registration is required. To register, call 330-344-2462.
- Metro Parks Kinderealm Hibernation will be held from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Children ages 3 to 6 and their adult companions join a naturalist to learn about hibernation and how it helps some animals survive winter. Program includes a short hike and craft. Please make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advance registration is required by calling 330-865-8065.
Metro Parks Waterfowl Watch will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. at Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park/Lot SM2 on South Main Street. New and experienced birdwatchers can join in to search for waterfowl during fall migration. Bring binoculars or a spotting scope. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Metro Parks Hike and Breakfast will be held from 8 to 10:30 a.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton St. Join a naturalist for a wild turkey hike around Alder Pond and a gobbling good breakfast. Participants will be asked to contribute to the feast. Good for spree credit. Advance registration is required by calling 330-865-8065.
- "Women and Investing: Investing Your Way" will be presented by Rob Moser of Edward Jones at 6:30 p.m. The program will be held at the Green Branch Library. Register in advance at the library, 4046 Massillon Road, or by calling 330-896-9074.
The Greater Akron Audubon Society meets at 7 p.m. at the Mingo Shelter in Sand Run Metro Park. Mark Purdy will present Antarctica and South Georgia. The public is welcome. For more information, visit www.akronaudubon.org or call 330-645-0953.