- Queen of Heaven Church, 1800 Steese Road, will hold a Bring Your Pets to Mass at 11 a.m. The outdoor Mass with pet blessing will commemorate the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi and his love of animals. Pets need to be on leashes or caged. Bring your lawn chair. In case of rain, take your pets into the church. For more information, call 330-896-2345.
- The Green Branch Library presents Investing in an Uncertain Market at 6:30 p.m. by Rob Moser. Register in advance.
- Summit County Children Services is sponsoring a free Foster Care and Adoption Information Meeting on at 6 p.m. at the Tallmadge Branch Library, 90 Community Road. This event is open to the entire community and reservations are not needed. For more information on Foster Care and Adoption through Summit County Children Services, call 330-379-1990.
- Creative Cog will present local creative entrepreneur Sue Grabowski to share lessons she’s learned and insight on starting a creative-focused business. During her Creative Cog talk, Grabowski will explore the two most poignant pieces of advice her father gave her in regards to starting a business: don’t burn bridges and make yourself indispensable. "Tips from a Creative-Type Entrepreneur with Sue Grabowski" is free and open to the public, but space is limited. Event registration is available at www.eventbrite.com and use the search. Doors open at 5 p.m. at Musica, 51 E. Market, and the event will begin at 5:30 p.m.
- At 6:30 p.m. at the Green Branch Library, people can learn the differences of various types of intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets), what they are, how to get them and how much they cost. Find out how best to protect your creative work. Presented by Akron-Summit County Science & Technology Librarian Curtis Bower. Please register in advance for this program at 330-896-9074.
- Master Gardeners in conjunction with the Springfield Parks presents a free program, "Pennies from Heaven: Treasuring Every Drop of Water, Free and Not so Free" by Sarah Vradenburg. The talk begins at 7 p.m. and is held at the Springfield Community/Senior Center, 2459 Canfield Road. For more information, contact Doug Foltz at 330-733-2556.
The Tadmor Shrine Kid's Haunted House and Hayride, built specifically for children, is open from 6 to 10 p.m. Fridays and 4 to 10 p.m. Saturdays Oct. 7 through the 29. It is a treat for kids 11 years and younger, but fun for adults too. The haunted house and hayride adventure is filled with screams and laughter. There’s food, and adventure galore. Cost is $10 per person, with $1 off coupons available by visiting www.hallowfun.net. Don’t forget to check out the Facebook page - Tadmor Shrine Haunted House for Children. The fun begins at 3000 Krebs Road, near the Target store on South Arlington Road.
- From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Akron General presents a Wellness Fair for the entire family. It is a free indoor/outdoor family health fair with something for everyone including a wide variety of health and wellness information tables, activities, raffles and a variety of health screenings. Enjoy one-on-one time with Akron General physicians or improve your golf swing with tips from PGA Professional Ron Tristano. There will be lots of fun kids’ activities, including outdoor games, an ambulance, police car and fire truck to tour, fire safety house and more. Visit akrongeneral.org/wellnessfair for more details. the center is located at 1940 Town Park Boulevard in Green.
- One of A Kind Pet Rescue is hosting Akron’s First Annual Pug Fest from noon to 5 p.m. The event is to raise awareness for pet adoption through One of A Kind Pet Rescue and Ohio Pug Rescue. The event is held at 1929 West Market Street in Akron and offers pug costume contests, vendors, nail trims, photo opportunities, raffle and more. The "Dreemers" will perform. For more information, call 330-865-6200 or visit www.oneofakindpets.com.
- A day retreat for engaged couples will be held at 11:15 a.m. beginning with registration and ending at 6:45 p.m. The cost is $75 per couple (due with advance registration). Dress is casual. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or visit www.loyolaretreathouse.com to download a registration form.
- Earn hiking spree credit alongside Summit County Metro Parks Executive Director Lisa King. The hike begins at 6 p.m. and is 1.4 miles on an easy trail. It will be held at Goodyear Heights metro Park Alder Trail, 550 Frazier Avenue.
- St. Jacob’s apple dumplings on sale from 1 to 4 p.m. unless sold out. This is the fifth year that St. Jacob’s has offered frozen, oven-ready dumplings for sale. To date, they have made 14,000 apple dumplings. Profits go to the Martin Center (a faith-based facility in Canton for youths in grades 7-12), Camp Quality Ohio (support program for children with cancer), and the Young Adult Canter in Hartville. The "Apple Dumpling Gang," are preparing 4,000 of the frozen treats, which come six to a package priced at $9. Instructions for baking and making a topping are included. No advance orders will be taken and it's first come, first served. St. Jacob’s is located at 1460 State St. NE between Route 43 and Market Ave. NE. Sales will be conducted in the church’s Garnes social hall, which has an entryway on the southwest side of the building.
- Massillon/North Canton Ladies of Elks 2029 will host a card party at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 12 at Arrowhead Golf and Banquet Center, 1510 Rogwin Circle SW. Tickets are $12 and must be purchased by Oct. 6. The evening will include a basket raffle, 50/50 and door prizes in addition to playing cards after a light dinner. Proceeds benefit charities and scholarships. For tickets and questions, contact Jan at 330-494-1905.
- A reverse raffle will be held at 6:30 p.m. at Guy's Party Centre, 500 East Waterloo Road, to benefit Loyola Retreat House. Tickets are $125 each (includes two buffet dinners, open bar, hors d’oeuvres) $3,000 Grand Prize (plus additional prizes). For more information, call 330-896-2315, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.loyolaretreathouse.com.
- Earn hiking spree credit alongside Summit County Metro Parks Executive Director Lisa King. The hike begins at 6 p.m. at the Prairie Trail in Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road.
- The Green Valley United Methodist Church, will hold a Pumpkin Fest from 5 to 8 p.m. located at 620 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road. The free event will feature hay rides, food, games, music and pumpkin decorating. Pumpkins will be provided. For more information, call the church at 330- 896-4357.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General and the American Red Cross of Summit, Portage and Medina Counties chapter are teaming up to offer free hands-only CPR and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training. In just one hour you can get the knowledge and skills to be ready to respond quickly should a loved one or friend collapse from a sudden cardiac arrest. The class will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. and 2:20 to 3:30 p.m. at 1940 Town Park Boulevard in Green. Register by calling 330-344-2462.