News and notes from the local sports scene.
Lake High School boys cross country runners Jacob Kernell and Spencer Wirick were named to the All-Federal League first team, while Laura Tweedie earned the same honor for the girls. Sam Tornow and Zach Johnson earned All-Federal League second team honors for the boys.
- The Coventry tennis doubles team of Kayla Jackson and AnneMarie Blankenship received First Team All-Portage Trail Conference honors and reached the district tournament before falling to end their season. Their fellow doubles team of Alexis Cordea and Kailey Lushes was named honorable mention All-PTC.
- Behind five first-half goals by Taylor Smith, the Lake girls soccer team blitzed Massillon 11-0 in a first-round tournament game to keep their season alive. The Blue Streaks recorded a 21-0 edge in shots on goal.
- Green girls cross country took second place at the Suburban League Chamipionship at Goodyear Park. Alyssa Thomas (20:42 - 8th place) and Ashley Augustynovich (20:53 - 9th) earned First Team All-Suburban League recognition. Miriam Blaine (21:41) and Milicia Mijatovich (21:51) were named to the league's second team and Lauren Hopkins (22:20) received honorable mention status.
- Missing three starters, Coventry volleyball fell in straight sets (25-14, 25-16, 25-20) to Tallmadge in a Tallmadge Division II sectional game.
- Springfield opened its postseason with a three-set win over East to advance to the sectional finals of the Uniontown Division II volleyball tournament, earning a matchup with Northwest.
- Lake Center Christian went 4-2 in the final week of the regular season, playing what coach Richard Jackson described as its best volleyball of the season entering the sectional tournament. Hannah Arnold led the Tigers with 14 service points in a win over Lutheran East to wrap up the regular season.
- All seven members of the Green boys cross country team earned All-Suburban League recognition in helping the squad to a third-place finish at the league championship meet. Noah Schaub and Stewart Schmidt (First Team), Keith Genetin and Jared Cline (Second Team) and Jarrett Wiggins, Matt Stang and Drew Huntsman (honorable mention) all turned in solid efforts for the Bulldogs.
- Kelsey Bryte had 10 kills and Sandy Parson had 25 assists for Lake as the Blue Streaks won their first tournament game to advance to a sectional final.
- Green volleyball saw its season end in heartbreaking fashion, dropping a four-set loss to Barberton in a sectional tournament game and losing the final game 26-24.
n James Williams (17:44) placed seventh to pace Springfield to a fifth-place finish in the Portage Trail Conference Metro Division cross country championships at the Portage County Fairgrounds.
Page 2 of 2 - - Coventry's Tucker Pearce was the top finisher for Coventry, placing 17th, at the Portage Trail Conference Metro Division cross country championships.
- Green alumnus Andrew Pratt caught one pass for 16 yards in his return to action for the University of Akron football team as the Zips nearly upset No. 23 Northern Illinois on the road.
- The Green girls soccer team pitched a 3-0 shutout against Firestone to win its opening game in the Brunswick Division I sectional tournament and advance to a sectional final matchup against Highland.
- Andy Harris