|
|
The Suburbanite
  • 5 things you should know about ... Jackson Schools

    • email print
  •   ... Jackson High School
    Jackson Local Schools is ranked 13th among Ohio's 610 traditional school districts. It has been designated by the Ohio Department of Education as excellent or excellent with distinction for the past 12 years. The district was recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Leader and as a Top Performer.
    There are six schools in the district, including Jackson High School (JHS), Jackson Memorial Middle School and Amherst, Lake Cable, Sauder and Strausser elementary schools.
    Below are five things to know about Jackson High School:
    1 The current high school was dedicated in 1976 and had its first graduating class in 1977.
    2 In 2004, voters approved a bond issue to build a 150,000-square-foot addition to the high school, which added 33 new instructional areas.
    3 The Washington Post newspaper identified Jackson High School as the 18th most challenging school in Ohio. This is a measurement of how effectively schools prepare students for college.
    4 US News and World Report identified the high school as the 24th best high school in Ohio and the 647th in the nation.
    5 The Jackson Academy for Global Studies (JAGS) is a new school-within-a-school program with the first round of students this year. There are 65 freshmen. Jeff Kracker is the JAGS principal. JAGS was founded with a $600,000 grant through the International Studies Schools Network. ... Jackson Memorial Middle School
    Jackson Memorial Middle School (JMMS) is the largest middle school in Stark County. It houses about 1,400 students in grades 6 through 8. The middle school was recognized in 2011 in the state report card as one of the top 20 schools in the state for academic success.
    Below are five things to know about Jackson Memorial Middle School:
    1 The school was once the Jackson Township Centralized School building. It opened in 1930 with enrollment of 492 students in kindergarten through 12th grade. There were 21 teachers. In 1934, four more rooms were added. It was the first centralized school in Stark County to include the children of an entire township. In May 1931, 16 students graduated in what is now known as the White Gym.
    2 In 1946, voters approved a $350,000 bond issue to add a new section for the middle school. The athletic field house, the Purple Gym, and a north wing of classrooms were added in 1954.
    3 In 1949, it was renamed Jackson Memorial School in honor of those who gave their lives in World War II. Enrollment was more than 1,000 and the faculty had grown to 37. The entire student population in the township continued to be housed in the building.
    4 In 1956, JMMS had more square footage in the school than any other school in the state. It was renamed the Jackson Memorial Middle School in 1976 after the new high school on Fulton Drive was dedicated.
    Page 2 of 2 - 5 Additions in 1996 included science and music wings, a new gym, a remodeled library and two new cafeterias.    

        calendar