|
|
The Suburbanite
  • A history lesson on Litchenwalter Schoolhouse

  • It is the time of year again for student field trips. Teachers look for field trips in which their students will spend their day learning.

    • email print
  • It is the time of year again for student field trips. Teachers look for field trips in which their students will spend their day learning.
    We all know children learn by doing and that is what happens for Green School third graders at the Lichtenwalter schoolhouse in May. Through the efforts of the city of Green, the citizens, the Gren Local School District and the Green Historic Preservation Commission, School House #13 became living history for Green’s children.
    Lichtenwalter School was built in 1885 on property now belonging to Akron Canton Airport.
    When the eductional doors closed in 1912 the school became a lonely place until the Boettler Family moved it their farm for use as a tool house. The city purchased the farm and turned it into the lovely Boettler Park in Green and plans were born to make this beautiful building an educational facility once again.
    In the year 2000, after a lot of hard work, the school was dedicated as the city’s first historical local landmark. Renovation began and the results are wonderful.
    In 2004 retired teachers from Green Local Schools became volunteer schoolmarms of 1885. The children spend one day as a student in a one room schoolhouse. They learn their three R’s and enjoy a recess with games of yesteryear. They learn and enjoy a simulated day in history. What a great way to learn that history is alive and well.
    The schoolhouse offers a one-hour program for scout groups and senior groups. For more information call the Parks Office at 330-896-6621.
    Carol Baltrinic
    Member of Green Historic Preservation Commission, Green Historical Society and Volunteer Schoolmarm for the city of Green.