A 5 1/2-hour standoff at 4750 Amherst Ave. NW ended peacefully around 3:50 p.m. when a 46-year old township man surrendered to police.
Charges are expected to be filed against an armed man who kept township police at bay for 51⁄2 hours Tuesday before being convinced to surrender at 3:50 p.m.
The 46-year-old man, whose name was not immediately released, emerged from his ranch-style home on Amherst Avenue NW with his hands raised and immediately was taken into custody by armed members of the township police department’s special response team. The man discarded a shotgun through a window that police had broken earlier in the standoff.
“He was instructed to throw his weapon out the window,” Police Chief Dave Zink said.
It’s unclear whether the gun was loaded.
The man, barefoot and dressed only in a pair of shorts, was escorted to a waiting ambulance and taken to Aultman Hospital for evaluation.
Negotiators maintained contact with the man via a cellphone that police deployed inside the residence, according to Zink. Communications were re-established with the man before he decided to surrender.
“We had hostage negotiators in limited dialogue with him ... It was a good resolution,” Zink said.
It’s believed the man was moving throughout the residence during the incident. Around 3 p.m., police smashed a window and set off a cannister of tear gas.
Police responded to the scene around 10:30 a.m. after the man’s wife called to report that he was despondent and threatening to harm himself. The couple apparently were having marital issues, according to police. The special-response team, wearing helmets and carrying shields, arrived at the scene shortly thereafter and blocked traffic on Amherst at Beatty Street. At one point, officers pointed their weapons at the residence from across the street. A group of them later moved into the front yard of the residence and kneeled in front of a chain-link fence.
As a precaution, four nearby homes were evacuated, Zink said.
Neighbors said the man moved into the house several months ago.
No charges were immediately filed, but the case remains open.
“We certainly anticipate some type of charge to be filed upon his release (from the hospital),” Zink said.