|
|
The Suburbanite
  • Fire damages home in Green

  • A late-morning fire Friday forced residents from their home at 2814 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road.Fir

    • email print
  • A late-morning fire Friday forced residents from their home at 2814 E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road.
    The 2-story wood-frame house that caught fire is about a half-mile west of Stark County’s Lake Township.
    The house was occupied by an elderly man and his adult granddaughter. The man had a fire going in a fireplace when the blaze began to spread.
    “It started at or around the fireplace next to the chimney,” said Capt. Greg Morgan of the Green Fire Department. “It got into the wall. It went from the first floor to the second floor and eventually ended up in the attic. The fire damage was extensive.”
    The man did not realize the house was on fire until a passer-by alerted him. Firefighters responded at about 11:45 a.m. Friday. Residents escaped without injury.
    Firefighters did not have a cost estimate of the damage.
    “That whole house is going to need some serious renovation work to get back in service,” Morgan said.
    The Fire Department withheld the residents’ names.
    The Uniontown Fire Department also responded. Authorities had to temporarily close a portion of E. Turkeyfoot Lake Road (state Route 619) while firefighters extinguished the blaze.