News and notes from the local high school sports scene.
- Lake sophomore Alexis Meffert scored twice as Lake recorded a 5-0 non-league win over Marlington. A 1-0 win over North Canton Hoover then improved the Blue Streaks' record to 4-1-6.
- Sophomore goal keeper Haleigh Seman recorded 14 saves in Green girls soccer's 1-0 loss to Revere.
- Coventry sophomore Megan Fuller recorded her first hat trick with all three goals in a 3-1 defeat of Ellet. Two goalies saw time in the contest for the Comets, as Zoe Sheppard had two saves and Brooklyn Whitmyer had three saves.
- Green boys soccer handed GlenOak its first loss of the season behind senior Matt Cefalu's two goals, winning a high-scoring affair by a score of 5-4.
- Manchester boys soccer received multi-goal efforts from Logan Speer (three goals), Kanyon Collins (two) in a 6-2 league win over Tusky Valley.
- Freshman Dillan Raines tallied the lone goal for Coventry boys soccer in a 3-1 loss to defending Portage Trail Conference Metro champion Kent Roosevelt.
- Lake Center Christian soccer had an offensive outburst, scoring 13 goals in wins over Northwest and Rootstown. Senior Justin Raber had six goals, while junior Josh Sample added three goals and five assists and freshman Daniel Tell (three goals, two assists) also found the back of the net for the Tigers.
- The Green girls cross country team placed 15th in a tough 34-team field at the Boardman Spartan Invitational. Alyssa Thomas led the way, finishing 25th overall with a new PR time of 20:07, and and Ashley Augustynovich finished 56th overall with a time of 20:41.
- Senior Hannah Arnold is leading LCCS volleyball with 13 kills per match through the Tigers' first 11 contests and fellow senior Lindsey Kline has posted 18 assists per game to pace the squad. Kline notched 31 assists and Arnold posted 18 digs in a two-match stretch as LCCS defeated East and Western Reserve Academy to improve to 8-3.
- Green volleyball went 3-1 over the past week to move above .500, with senior Lauren Rossiter leading her team to Massillon, Howland and Tallmadge with 26 kills and 11 blocks. Michelle Daugherty (65 assists and 27 digs) and senior Katie Racco (17 kills and 40 digs) also turned in good weeks for the Bulldogs.
- Manchester volleyball posted a 1-2 mark at the Barberton Classic. Allie Richmond led the team with six aces and an 81.4 percent setting rate. Other tournament leaders for the Panthers were Siera Sipe (10 blocks), Tatum Christy (40 digs), Jenna Williams (17 kills) and Lexi Bartolet (100-percent service rate).
- The Lake Center Christian and Springfield volleyball teams will play in a “Volley for Hope” game to benefit Domestic Violence Project, Inc. The game will take place Sept. 23 at LCCS and all funds raised will support Stark County domestic violence shelters.
- Springfield junior Nick Hurd tied for second place at the Portage Trail Conference postseason tournament with a 77, earning First Team All-PTC honors.
Page 2 of 2 - - Lake Center Christian golf had all four of its competitors score in the 40s, with senior Jon Wittmer topping the team with a nine-hole score of 41, in a 189-181 win over Massillon.
- Springfield girls golf placed seventh at the Greater Akron Golf League Championship, led by an 18-hole score of 91 by junior Deanna Cole. Sarah Treen (112) was second in scoring for the Spartans.
- Coventry girls tennis secured its third win of the season, defeating Ellet on the strength of wins by sophomore Amanda Michaels (first singles), juniors Kayla Jackson and Annemarie Blankenship (first doubles) and sophomore Allison Cooper and junior Kailey Lushes (second doubles).