News, notes and happenings from local high school sports.
- Coventry girls soccer has allowed just two goals in its first two Portage Trail Conference games, going 1-1 with a win against Ravenna to bounce back from a league-opening loss to Norton. Karli Morisak and Kim Snow both tallied goals against the Ravens.
- The Manchester Panthers have ridden the right foot of senior Kaylee Ferguson to a 6-1 start. Ferguson has scored 13 goals so far this season. Senior goalkeeper Missy Kepnes added seven saves in a 7-2 win over Field.
- Green senior captain Matt Cefalu tallied a hat trick with three goals and added an assist in a league win over Wadsworth, giving him five goals and two assists on the season.
- Lake Center Christian forward Justin Raber scored two first-half goals to lead the Tigers to a win over Northwest.
- Green girls soccer ended Lake's streak of six straight games without a loss, defeating the Blue Streaks 1-0 as Emily Deevers scored the game's lone goal and goalkeeper Haleigh Seman notched her 10th career shutout.
- Junior goalkeeper Kyle Stevenson recorded 17 saves as the Springfield soccer team fell 2-0 to Crestwood in a Portage Trail Conference contest.
- Lake girls soccer has tied in five of its eight games this season, including a 1-1 deadlock with Jackson to leave its record at 2-0-1 in Federal League play.
- Lake Center Christian volleyball has continued the momentum from its run to the district semifinals last season with a 6-2 start to the year. Head coach Richard Jackson has an inexperienced roster playing well as he returns from a one-year hiatus from the bench.
- Junior Nick Hurd fired a match-low round of 41 and senior Zac Fox shot a 46, but the Springfield boys golf team fell to Field, 191-179.
- Tim Carr earned medalist honors with a 39 in Lake Center Christian golf's 174-172 loss to Mogadore.
- Freshman Brooke Babbin led the Green girls golf team to two victories by shooting rounds of 35 and 36 and has propelled the team to an 8-1 record, including 5-1 in the Suburban League.
- Michelle Daugherty has posted 134 assists and 52 digs to pace the Green volleyball team through its first seven games.
- A sweep of both doubles matches by Kayla Jackson abd AnneMarie Blankenship (first doubles) and Alexis Cordea and Allison Cooper (second doubles) fueled Coventry tennis to a 3-2 win against Manchester in a non-league tilt.
- Green girls cross country competed at the Walsh Jesuit Tomahawk Run, with Alyssa Thomas finishing 20th with a personal-best time of 20:42 and Miriam Blaine finishing 48th with a personal-best time of 21:43. The boys JV team also took part in the meet and had four runners set new personal bests.
Page 2 of 2 - - Tucker Pearce continued his solid season for Coventry cross country, placing first at the Hoban Invitational and fifth at the Portage Trail Conference Super Duals.
- All three singles players recorded two-set sweeps without dropping a game as Green girls tennis defeated Tallmadge 4-1. Seniors Kristen Starkey, Addie Hujar and Lexi Marchese all won 6-0, 6-0.
- Andy Harris