Local sports news and notes from the Suburbanite coverage area.
- The Green girls cross country team posted a 6-1 record at the Suburban League Superdual Meet, with wins against Highland, Wadsworth, Tallmadge, Revere, Cloverleaf and Copley. The Bulldogs' top five finishers were Ashley Augustynovich, Alyssa Thomas, Miriam Blaine, Sara Schaub and Milica Mijatovich.
- Coventry's boys cross country team received two winning efforts from sophomore Tucker Pearce, who placed first at the Dick Malloy Invitational and at a tri-meet against Ellet and Springfield, posting a personal best against the Spartans and Orangemen. Fellow sophomore Evan Davenport also recorded a sixth-place finish at the invitational event.
- Junior Deanna Cole led the Springfield girls golf team with a 48 as the Spartans suffered a 235-234 loss to CVCA. Cole has been the Spartans' leading scorer in all but one match so far this season. Elena Nutter stepped up to lead the Spartans in scoring as Cole missed a match due to a trip for her travel softball team.
- Lake Center Christian golf has won three of its past four matches, with Jon Wittmer (41) and Tim Carr (43) notching the best scores for the Tigers in a win over Central Christian (209-177) as part of a double-dual match with Western Reserve.
- Coventry girls tennis has benefited from a strong start by the first doubles team of juniors Kayla Jackson and AnneMarie Blankenship, which posted league wins over Field, Kent and Woodridge. The second doubles team of Alexis Cordea and Kailey Lushes recorded a key win over Field as well.
- The Green volleyball team dropped two recent matches to Highland and Wadsworth. Junior setter Michelle Daugherty recorded 29 assists and 16 digs, with senior middle hitter Hannah Smith adding 12 kills and 11 digs and senior Lauren Rossiter contributing 12 kills.
- Senior Zack Moore bolstered the Coventry soccer attack with three goals and one assist in wins over Alliance and Woodridge. Casey Prater (four goals) Will Morisak (three goals and three assists) and goalie Sean Roberts had (two shutouts) turned in solid efforts as the Comets beat Northwest and North by identical 7-0 marks.
- Manchester boys soccer recorded its second win of the season with an offensive outburst in an 8-0 shutout of Canton Timken. Ten different Panthers had either a goal or an assist in the contest.
- After a series of ties to open the year, Lake girls soccer broke through for its first win, a 5-0 Federal League triumph over Perry as First Team All-Federal League forward Taylor Smith scored all five goals for the Blue Streaks.
- A family battle between cousins Karley Dougherty and Reilly Dougherty went the way of Karley Dougherty as her Manchester Panthers defeated Firestone 7-2 in a non-league soccer showdown as the Panthers ran their record to 5-0.
– Andy Harris
Page 2 of 2 -