The Suburbanite
  • Lake Township Trustees pass TIF resolutions

  • During the regular meeting June 24, the Lake Township Trustees passed two resolutions for Tax Increment Financing (TIF) for Lake Township state Route 619 Corridor Projects 2 and 3.

    • email print
  • During the regular meeting June 24, the Lake Township Trustees passed two resolutions for Tax Increment Financing (TIF) for Lake Township state Route 619 Corridor Projects 2 and 3. The resolutions apportion 75 percent of new real estate taxes generated by property improvements or new construction to be used for improvements to the township’s infrastructure for a period of 10 years. The remaining 25 percent of new taxes will be reserved for Lake Local Schools.
    Project No. 2 is owned by Troyer Corp and Project No. 3 is owned by HRM Enterprises, Inc. There are plans for the construction of a new hotel and an addition to the Hartville Kitchen.
    Trustee Ellis Erb said they can’t pass a bond levy to cover the costs of the 619 corridor improvements because it is a state road. He said the trustees are responsible for everyone in the township and they are trying to do what’s right for the whole community.
    “We are not paying the entire amount for the improvements. We’re putting up the seed money,” Erb said. “We’re getting help from the county, there are federal moneys and money from the state and we’re getting help from regional planning.”
    Several residents spoke about TIF including David Poling, president of the Lake Local Board of Education. Poling said he thought approving the resolutions would be on the “backs of the kids in Lake Local Schools.”
    “When we pass a levy, the amount we generate is fixed,” Poling said. “We don’t get more when evaluations go up. It’s not just new tax dollars. When everybody gets re-evaluated that tax levy amount will be constant. Over the 10 years, the school will be losing millions of dollars. I also want to see economic development in the area and I’d like to see the improvements to 619 but I want to suggest that the trustees raise the money through a bond issue.”
    One resident asked if other townships or cities use TIF monies for improvements. Galen Stoll, trustee president, said that the City of Green has more than 20 properties with TIF funding and that most of the area’s infrastructure improvements have been funded this way.
    In other business June 24 trustees:
    • Approved hiring Vincent Romanin as part-time Reserve Officer with the Uniontown Police Department subject to the provisions of the Lake Township Trustees and employee handbook and that he passes required testing. Romanin’s hourly wage will be $14 and he will work up to 28.8 hours a week.
    • Awarded a contract to Miller Builders for $198,780 to construct a salt storage building for the township.
    • Passed a resolution to place a 1.25-mill renewal road levy on the November 5 election ballot. The current levy has been in place for 8 years and the renewal will be for 5 years. Total amount generated yearly by the levy was not known at the time of this report.
    Page 2 of 2 - • Passed – in preparation for the Jan. 14 implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act – a resolution to establish 28.8 as the maximum number of hours per week that any non-fulltime employee can work, effective immediately.
    “Limiting the part-time hours is very difficult for us and this will negatively affect everyone working for the township. This law is handcuffing us to taking such action,” Trustee John Arnold said.
    The Lake Trustees will meet at 6:30 p.m. July 8 at the Township Hall.

    Comments are currently unavailable on this article

      Events Calendar