Local high school sports news and notes.
High School Sports Notes
- Lake Center Christian defeated Springfield 3-1 in a"Volley for Hope" match, which raised $2,500 for domestic violence prevention. Arnold led all players with 19 kills. Olivia Perkins topped Springfield with 23 assists and 21 service points.
- Freshmen Kathi Kline and Allison Danner both posted career-low scores for 18 holes for the Springfield girls golf team in its sectional tournament.
- Manchester volleyball suffered three three-set losses, including a home PAC-7 defeat to Tuslaw, and dropped two-set matches to New Philadelphia and Kidron Central Christian in a tri-match.
- Coventry freshman Tucker Pearce placed 17th in the Division II cross country race at Malone and also took second place at the Comets' dual meet against Canton McKinley.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Hofer stopped 12 shots as Lake Center Christian fell 7-0 to CVCA.
- The Coventry girls tennis first doubles team of juniors Kayla Jackson and AnneMarie Blankenship won the doubles championship at the Portage Trail Conference tournament, defeating Woodridge in straight sets and besting top-seeded Kent Roosevelt in three sets. The duo then won the championship match in straight sets against Ravenna to run their record to 12-5.
- Lake Center Christian boys soccer goalie Chris McQuistion notched eight saves and recorded a shutout as the Tigers topped Waynedale 3-0 for their sixth win of the season.
- Lauren Rossiter tallied a combined 33 kills and 16 blocks to lead the Green volleyball team to two wins in the past week.
- Coventry boys soccer goalie Sean Roberts saved nine shots and held Barberton scoreless for the first 67:48 of the game before the host Magics scored the game's only goal with 12:12 left for a 1-0 non-league win.
- Behind a suffocating defense that held Louisville to four shots on goal the Lake boys soccer team shook off a slow start and used three second-half goals to notch a 4-0 win against the Leopards.
- Green boys soccer routed Cloverleaf 8-1 as eight different Bulldogs scored goals and the visitors held a 17-7 edge in shots on goal over the Colts.
- Colton Westover scored the lone goal for Springfield in a 6-1 loss to Kent Roosevelt in a contest that was tied 1-1 at halftime.
- Manchester standout Kaylee Ferguson added two goals to her season total to lead the Panthers past Coventry 3-1, while Morgan Starcher led the Panthers with two goals in a 5-2 win over Tallmadge.
- Springfield volleyball broke its losing streak with a straight-set win over East, 25-16, 25-14, and added a win over Cleveland Central Catholic to go 2-1 in a four-team match that also involved Ellet.
- Green girls cross country finished second in a seven-team field at the Sandy Valley Invitational behind the efforts of Alyssa Thomas (2nd - 20:14), Miriam Blaine (7th - 21:29), Milicia Mijatovich (9th - 22:00), Lauren Hopkins (11th - 22:03) and Sara Schaub (12th - 22:20).
- Freshman Stewart Schmidt set a new personal best in all but one race this year and placed second overall at the Sandy Valley Invitational. Schmidt also placed fourth at the Boardman Invitational and has a top time of 17:15 on the season.
- Andy Harris