Feb. 19 meeting
KEY ACTION Approved a resolution to apply for an Ohio Department of Development Diesel Emissions Reduction Grant to help with the purchase of eight new buses. Jackson Local will apply for the grant through a cooperative school bus purchasing program with other districts in Stark County. If awarded, the grant would pay for 80 percent of the cost of each bus and the district would be responsible for the remaining 20 percent.
Barry Mason, assistant superintendent of Jackson Local Schools, said the purpose of the grant is to help organizations and businesses in Ohio with large fleets to replace vehicles with high-emission rates with newer, more efficient vehicles. Mason said he thought the district would know by the end of February or early March if it has been awarded the grant.
DISCUSSION Superintendent Christopher DiLoreto gave an update on the district’s Critical Incident Management Planning. He said in January there were 38 visits from police patrols in the district’s six buildings. The district has been working with the Jackson Township trustees to provide additional coverage in the middle school.
“School safety is a top priority for the district, and we are continually learning ways to manage the challenges of maintaining a public building while reducing the risk to students and staff and increasing communications and response time with local law enforcement,” DiLoreto said.
Board member Scott Gindlesberger asked for the community to be proactive in identifying potential security threats.
“If you look at recent events in Colorado or Connecticut, there were warning signs,” he said. “Oftentimes, those in the district are not on the same social networking and social media sites as students and others. The best early warnings come from students and the community. If anyone does hear anything, please share that with a teacher or an administrator.”
• Approved changes to the International Baccalaureate program to replace Japanese classes with Chinese classes.
• Paul Salvino, Jackson Middle School principal, said the middle school recently was ranked seventh of 300 middle schools in the state of Ohio.
UP NEXT: Meets 6 p.m. March 19 at Jackson High School.