All proceeds from Canton Carnival of Wheels benefit the Automotive Technology scholarship fund at Stark State College and to a general scholarship fund at Kent State University at Stark.
• Started in 1992 as the Timken Vehicle Display and Special Interest Show for Timken Co. employees, the Canton Carnival of Wheels has evolved into a non-profit, community event that draws hundreds of vehicle entries and thousands of spectators every year.
• Don’t expect just classic cars. Any vehicle with wheels is invited to join, including tractors, motorcycles and race cars. Vehicles can be displayed for a $10 fee. Dash plaques will be awarded to the first 400 vehicles registered.
• Participants will vie for the People’s Choice Award and sponsor awards.
• New cars will be up for perusal, as well, as the Stark County Automobile Dealers Association will show 2013 models of selected vehicles.
• Spectators also can get an eyeful of miniature “cars” during the show’s unique valve-cover race. The competition is reminiscent of the Boy Scouts’ Pinewood Derby, with the vehicles made from the valve covers from internal combustion car engines instead of wood. The little machines are powered by gravity rather than engines.
• Live music will provide a backdrop for all the car gazing. The John Berecek and Friends Band and the Bandog Band will supply the tunes.
• Ten food vendors will be on hand to help keep hunger at a minimum. Available eats will include gyros, pizza, doughnuts, barbecued foods, hot dogs and other goodies.
Why attend? All proceeds benefit the Automotive Technology scholarship fund at Stark State College and to a general scholarship fund at Kent State University at Stark.
About the event
When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Where: The parking lots of Kent State University at Stark and Stark State College in Jackson Township.
Tickets: Free to spectators, $10 fee to display a vehicle.
Info: Call Dan Thoma at 330-493-9202 or Dick Mautz at 330-837-3878, or visit www.cantoncarnivalofwheels.com. Registration forms are available online.