- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at Guy’s Party Center, 500 E. Waterloo Road, June 11. Doors open at 11 a.m. and lunch is served at noon. The cost is $18 per person. A basket raffle will be held. For reservations, call Pat Keefe at 330-644-9728 by June 8.
- From 6 to 8 p.m., kids learn the basics of fishing. Bait a hook and drop a line in Alder Pond at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave. A limited number of rods and reels will be available for use. Bait is provided. Participants 16 and older must have a fishing license. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., children can discover nature through hands-on activities, nature play and crafts at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge,2077 Newton St. Bring a picnic to enjoy as part of your day. Most activities will be geared for children ages 2 to 6, but there will be something for the whole family. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., visit the Mountain Bike Area Open House at Hampton Hills Metro Park/Mountain Bike Area, 2092 Theiss Road. Several local cycling shops will have free adult loaner bikes for use during the event. The event will be postponed to June 16 in case of rain or wet conditions. For status, call 330-865-8060 or follow @SMPmountainbike on Twitter.
- Green Sibshop, a monthly program just for kids in grades 3 through 6 who have a brother or sister with special health or developmental needs, will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road. It is a recreational and fun program in a safe environment. This month is a birthday party for Sibshop’s second year. To register a child or for more information, visit http://www.greensburgumc.net or call 330-244-7650. Lunch provided.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s Challenge Golf program will offer Junior Golf Camps over three sessions from 9 a.m. to noon on June 11 to 14, June 25 to 28 and July 9 to 12. The camps are for kids ages 7 to 14 who wish to learn the basics of the game. The cost is $99 for one golfer or $180 for two golfers from the same family. An eight-week Advanced Junior Golf program will be offered Wednesdays, June 13 to Aug. 1 from 1 to 3 p.m. The program is for experienced golfers ages 10 to 15 who wish to expand their game and learn advanced skills on new courses. The cost is $150.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., children 3 to 6 and their adult companions get the dirt on moles at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Includes a hike and craft. Please make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advance registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Friends of Lake Community Branch Library, 565 Market Ave. SW., is holding a book sale June 13 to 16. More than 15,000 items, including CDs DVDs and Jigsaw Puzzles are available. For more information, check www.lakelibraryfriends.info or call 330-877-9975. A preview sale for members will be held June 13 from 5:30 to 7:30. Memberships may be purchased at the door.
From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Summit County Metro Parks presents Kinderealm: Moles at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton St., Akron. Children 3 to 6 and their adult companions get the dirt on moles. It includes a hike and craft. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advanced registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- At 7 p.m., enjoy the classic rock music of the Prowlers at a free concert, presented by the City of Akron at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton St. For more, information call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- From 11 a.m. to noon, bring the kids to the Nature Play area along Alder Trail, Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave., and use your senses to discover wildlife around us. You'll learn how some animals use their senses, too. Getting messy is encouraged so please dress accordingly. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Join Wayside Furniture, 1367 Canton Road, from 11a.m. to 4 p.m. June 23 for its Inaugural Summer Fun Bocce Ball Tournament. The tournament will be held in the Outdoor Furniture area in between the main showroom and the Red Brick Amish Shop. Register a two-person team by June 15 in the store or online at www.wayside-furniture.com. The winning team will receive a $500 Wayside Gift Card. Italian refreshments from Wayside Café will be served to all contestants and their fans.
- From 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m., join in Gorge Kayaking at Gorge Metro Park/Main Entrance, 1160 Front St. Paddle the Cuyahoga River at the Gorge to see towering rock ledges and breathtaking scenery. Led by a certified instructor and a naturalist. Minimum age is 13; ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult participant. Participants must wear closed-toed shoes and be able to swim. We suggest bringing water, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and wearing clothes that can get wet. Fee includes loan of kayak, paddle, life jacket and instruction. Space is limited. Cost: $15/person. Advanced registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865- 8065.
- The Autism 5k Run and Walk will take to the streets of Akron. The family 5k and walk will be held at Firestone Stadium. In addition to the timed 5k, which can either be walked or ran, the event will feature a one-mile fun walk for teams who raise money to support the community initiatives. Other events include a live DJ, petting zoo, inflatable kid’s zone, vendor fair, and a kid’s fun run around the bases of Firestone Stadium’s infield. Registration for the timed 5k run or walk costs $35 and increases to $40 on the day of the event. The registration fee includes an official event t-shirt. A discounted rate of $20 is offered to students and individuals with a disability. Participation in the one-mile fun walk is focused on each walk team’s fundraising goals and does not have a registration fee. Learn more and register at https://autism5kandwalk.enmotive.com
- At 7 p.m., the all-volunteer Metro Parks Ensemble performs an hour of traditional marches, big band standards and oldies at Towpath Trail/Clinton Trailhead, 2749 North Street. The concert will be cancelled if it rains. If wet weather is in the forecast, call 330-865-8060 after 4 p.m. for status.
- At 7 p.m., enjoy pop and rock favorites by Rock Radio at a free concert, presented by the City of Akron at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton St. For more information, call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- The Rock the Dock festival will be held from 5 to 11 p.m. June 22, from noon to 11 p.m. June 23 and from noon to 6 p.m. June 24 at Springfield Lake Park. Parking on site is $5, handicap parking is free with state valid plaque and parking off site is free at Gala Commons or Lakemore Plaza with free pick up and drop off shuttle bus service. There will be carnival rides, carnival food, entertainment for the entire family. Wrist bands for rides are available but no refunds are available (check the weather before purchasing.) Fireworks will be at 9:45 June 23.
- From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., tour the Master Gardeners Six Gardens of Distinction. Tickets are $20 and are available online at www.summitmastergardeners.org or at Donzell’s Garden Center, 937 E. Waterloo Road and Dayton Nursery and Garden Center, 3459 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road, Norton. Proceeds will benefit the Summit County Master Gardeners’ educational horticulture programs. Visit the Summit County Master Gardeners website for additional information and upcoming programs.
- Summit County ArtsNow is hosting a free reception and panel discussion on the topic of funding from 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the Andrew Jackson House. The panelist of funders will be discussing best funding practices, the funding landscape in the arts and culture sector, public space in Summit County, and strategic vision for our community partners. Registration is free and open to the public and can be found at devpanel.eventbrite.com.