- Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road, is hosting a Craft Fair and Cruz-In Car Show. The day will include a craft and vendor market, trash and treasure find tables, concessions, bake sale and raffles. All makes, models and years welcome (weather permitting – no rain date). Motorcycles will not be judged. Registration fee is $5, and an awards ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cash awards will be given to first, second and third place winners. All proceeds benefit educational programs of the church. For information or to reserve a space, call Mary at 330-285-6560 or the church office at 330-882-4818.
- The Veterans Service Commission of Summit County (VSC) is giving local veterans access to career training and an opportunity to put newly acquired skills to use with a free "Job Boot Camp" employment workshop from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., followed by a Veteran and Community Job & Career Fair, from 1 to 3 p.m. Both events, are held at 1060 E. Waterloo Road and are designed to give veterans an edge in their search for employment. Preregistration is encouraged for the Boot Camp online at www.VSCsummitOH.us or by calling 330-643-7636. Attendees should come dressed ready to interview and bring a copy of their DD Form 214 and resumes to hand out to local employers, who will offer on-site advice and training.
- "What’s in a Name?" will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Firestone Metro Park/Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. Have you ever wondered how animals get their names? Learn the history, science and lore behind the names of many common species found in our parks. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s McDowell Cancer Institute will host an evening of celebration for cancer survivors, from 5 to 8 p.m. at Akron General Health & Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. Survivors are encouraged to bring family and friends for a celebration. Registration is required by May 30 by calling 330-344-1418. There is no cost to attend. For more information, visitakrongeneral.org.
- The annual Catholic Charities Summit County Golf Outing will be at Mayfair Country Club, 2229 Raber Road. Shotgun start 9 a.m. Cost is $100, which includes breakfast and lunch buffets and a steak dinner. Proceeds benefit Catholic Charities Summit County programming for people with developmental disabilities. Call 330-762-2961, ext. 220, or log on to www.ccdocle.org/summitgolf.
- The city of Green is hosting a Children’s Entertainment Series at Central Park, 1755 Town Park Blvd., Thursdays at 10 a.m. through Aug. 16 with a variety of crowd-favorite entertainers. Free admission. Families are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy the splash pad and play at the park, following the nearly hour-long performances. The city’s Central Park Splash pad is open daily from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., weather permitting. Entertainment is held rain or shine. In the event of storms or severe weather, performances may be cancelled. For a schedule of events, visit www.cityofgreen.org.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at Guy’s Party Center, 500 E. Waterloo Road, June 11. Doors open at 11 a.m. and lunch is served at noon. The cost is $18 per person. A basket raffle will be held. For reservations, call Pat Keefe at 330-644-9728 by June 8.
- From 6 to 8 p.m., kids learn the basics of fishing. Bait a hook and drop a line in Alder Pond at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave. A limited number of rods and reels will be available for use. Bait is provided. Participants 16 and older must have a fishing license. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., children can discover nature through hands-on activities, nature play and crafts at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge,2077 Newton St. Bring a picnic to enjoy as part of your day. Most activities will be geared for children ages 2 to 6, but there will be something for the whole family. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., visit the Mountain Bike Area Open House at Hampton Hills Metro Park/Mountain Bike Area, 2092 Theiss Road. Several local cycling shops will have free adult loaner bikes for use during the event. The event will be postponed to June 16 in case of rain or wet conditions. For status, call 330-865-8060 or follow @SMPmountainbike on Twitter.
- From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., children 3 to 6 and their adult companions get the dirt on moles at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Includes a hike and craft. Please make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advance registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
From 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Summit County Metro Parks presents Kinderealm: Moles at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton St., Akron. Children 3 to 6 and their adult companions get the dirt on moles. It includes a hike and craft. Make other arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Advanced registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- At 7 p.m., enjoy the classic rock music of the Prowlers at a free concert, presented by the City of Akron at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Main Entrance, 2077 Newton St. For more, information call 330-375-2311 or visit akronohio.gov.
- From 11 a.m. to noon, bring the kids to the Nature Play area along Alder Trail, Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave., and use your senses to discover wildlife around us. You'll learn how some animals use their senses, too. Getting messy is encouraged so please dress accordingly. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m., join in Gorge Kayaking at Gorge Metro Park/Main Entrance, 1160 Front St. Paddle the Cuyahoga River at the Gorge to see towering rock ledges and breathtaking scenery. Led by a certified instructor and a naturalist. Minimum age is 13; ages 13 to 17 must be with an adult participant. Participants must wear closed-toed shoes and be able to swim. We suggest bringing water, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and wearing clothes that can get wet. Fee includes loan of kayak, paddle, life jacket and instruction. Space is limited. Cost: $15/person. Advanced registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865- 8065.