- Join in the Gospel Blue Grass Jam held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. It is an evening of foot stompin’ music. Bring a covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- Professionals and the community will come together to celebrate senior adults and educate about their services and opportunities in Summit County. May 18 will consist of a professional conference providing CEU/CLE-level sessions held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. George Fellowship Centre. May 19 is a free senior expo featuring free food, prizes and services for seniors and those who love them from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Firestone Community Learning Center. Registration for May 18 is $90, including breakfast, lunch and CEU/CLE’s and is now open for detailed information on the conference sessions and registration can be found at http://bit.ly/2sbd4db.
- Join the Firestone Park Elementary family from 3:30 until 5:30 p.m. at the school for the end of the year 100th year celebration. Featured will be the fifth-grade singers, raffle prizes and food. Contact Mrs. Stokes through the school office at 330-773-1308 for more information.
The 3rd annual Steps of Change, "Walk a Mile in My Shoes," - educating, embracing and empowering families and individuals whose lives have been impacted through substance use - will be held from noon to 4 p.m. The event is open to the public. It is being held at Bolich Middle School, 2630 13th St., in Cuyahoga Falls, in the gym if it rains.
- April showers bring more than flowers. Join a naturalist on a hike to look for seasonal wildflowers, ferns and fungi from 9 to 11 a.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area 550 Frazier Ave. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A retreat is for engaged couples preparing for the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony will be held at 11 a.m. at Loyola Retreat House, 700 Killinger Road. Prayer, presentations, quiet reflection time, Mass, a pizza lunch, and dinner are a part of the event. The cost is $75 per couple (due with advance registration). Dress is casual. Departure will follow the 7 p.m. closing. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- Eleven first- and second-place winners of Tuesday Musical's 2018 Scholarship Competition will perform in a free concert on at 2:30 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, 2726 W. Market St. For more information about Tuesday Musical, visit tuesdaymusical.org.
- Weather permitting, the all-volunteer Metro Parks Ensemble will perform an hour of traditional marches, big band standards and oldies from 7 to 8 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton St. Concert cancelled if it rains. If wet weather is in the forecast, call 330-865-8060 after 4 p.m. for status. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The Friends of the Stark County District Library will hold a special meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the Lake Community Library, 565 Market Ave. W., Uniontown, for the purpose of discussing the Annual FOL Book Sale and the need for volunteers to assist with preparation and maintenance of the event. The organizational process will be discussed, including where and when volunteers will be needed.
- Weave a basket with your own creative flair. Make your own design or choose from a few simple patterns from 6 to 9 p.m. May 23 and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 24 at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Goodyear Lodge, 2077 Newton St. This is an adult program and the materials fee is $10. Bring a flathead screwdriver, needle-nose pliers, towel and tw-gallon bucket, if you can. Registration is required at www.summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General will offer a free program on "Healthy Women: The Art of Being Well" from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Akron General Health & Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. This two-hour program focuses on stress relief and mindfulness for women. Participants will work with Cleveland Clinic caregivers from the Arts & Medicine Institute to paint a lovely piece of artwork to enjoy for years to come. No artistic talent is required. Refreshments will be served. Register online at clevelandclinic.org/ComeLearnWithUs.
- Kids 15 and younger can learn the basics of fishing, then drop a line at Little Turtle Pond from 10 a.m. to noon. A few rods and reels will be available for use. Bait is provided. Adults must supervise their children but are not permitted to fish. The pond is at Firestone Metro Park, 2400 Harrington Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- From 10 a.m. to noon, bring your own canoe or kayak that has current watercraft registration, and volunteer your time cleaning up our waterways during Boating Week while learning about safety on the water. We will weigh the debris collected. All participants must have a life jacket. Ages 13 and older only. Register in advance for this event held at Nimisila Reservoir Metro Park/Lot C6 6194 Christman Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
Support Theatre 8:15 at a fundraiser held from 4 to 8 p.m. at Chipotle at 790 Arlington Ridge St. Mention Theatre 8:15 and 50 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the theater.
- Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road, is hosting a Craft Fair and Cruz-In Car Show. The day will include a craft and vendor market, trash and treasure find tables, concessions, bake sale and raffles. All makes, models and years welcome (weather permitting – no rain date). Motorcycles will not be judged. Registration fee is $5, and an awards ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cash awards will be given to first, second and third place winners. All proceeds benefit educational programs of the church. For information or to reserve a space, call Mary at 330-285-6560 or the church office at 330-882-4818.