- PechaKucha Akron, a quarterly speaker series will be held at The Goodyear Theater. Doors open at 7 p.m. and speakers begin at 8 p.m. PechaKucha speakers give quick presentations that include 20 images shown for 20 seconds each for a total of six minutes and forty seconds. Tickets are $5 each, with a limited number of VIP tickets ($20, includes preferred seating) and free tickets (available with the coupon code AKRON), at goodyeartheater.com/event/1682315-pechakucha-akron-volume-11-akron. Complimentary appetizers will be provided, as well as beer and wine for purchase.
- Anyone who has earned any bachelor's degree may apply to the University of Akron’s College of Business Administration Flexible MBA and Saturday MBA options. An MBA Information Session is scheduled from 5:30 to 7 p.m. in the College of Business Administration Atrium, 259 South Broadway. To register, visit uakron.edu/cba/graduate/info-session.dot. Advisors are available at 330-972-7043 and at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Kent Stage presents The Accidentals at 8 p.m. The Accidentals affirm their place among contemporary music’s most original and adventurous new bands. General admission tickets are $12 in advance and $15 day of show. Tickets are on sale at www.thekentstage.com or by phone at 877-987-6487. The Kent Stage is located at 175 E. Main St. in Kent, Ohio.
- The American Heart Association presents the 2018 Akron Heart Ball, themed "Peace. Hearts. Happiness." The black-tie event will be held at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. Attendees at the Heart Ball will enjoy a night of dinner, dancing and live entertainment. A highlight of the evening will be the Open Your Heart Special Appeal, during which guests will hear the inspiring stories of those impacted by heart disease, heart defects and stroke, and have an opportunity to contribute to the cause. For sponsorship opportunities, event information or details about how tickets and tables, visit akronheartball.heart.org, or contact Colleen Repie at 330-569-5793 email@example.com.
- The eighth annual Race to a New Start 5K run and 1M walk is being held at Copley High School to benefit ACCESS Shelter and its mission to support and empower homeless women and children in our community. Runners will begin at 8 a.m. followed by the 1M walk and free kid’s fun run. All race participants will receive race swag (including an event t-shirt) and will have access to family-friendly activities like a photo booth and a prize wheel. For more information or to register, visit bit.ly/access-race. For race questions, please contact Stephanie Zelasko at 330- 376-0997 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Art by Marla presents an art and exercise event for parents and children age 6 to 12 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Making Mono Prints and Mindfulness Saturday includes all materials. The cost is $30 for a parent and one child and $10 for each additional child. Call Lisa at 330-361-9199 or Marla at 330-206-3319 soon to reserve a spot. All children must be accompanied by an adult during the event time.
- The Goodyear Hunting and Fishing Club will host a Trout Derby for children and adults with special needs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Families and individuals can join the fun at wheelchair-accessible Little Turtle Pond at Firestone Metro Park, 400 Harrington Road. Only special needs children and special needs adults may fish during the event. Adults and guardians must supervise and can assist but may not fish. Participants are encouraged to bring their own fishing equipment and bait. Some equipment and bait will be provided, and minnows are not permitted. Free hot dogs, chips and beverages will be served. For more information, call 330-865-8065 or contact Steve Isaacs with the Goodyear Hunting and Fishing Club at 330-928-7169.
- The Run for Recovery Tri-County will be held at 8 a.m. in Lakemore. Participants can walk or run to support Hope United and Restore Addiction recovery in building a sober-living campus that will support those struggling with addiction in a seamless, long-term program to heal. Go to RunforrecoveryTC.com to find out more.
- Stop by Goodyear Heights Lodge, 2077 Newton St., anytime between 1 and 3 p.m. to make a nature-themed craft for the mother figure in your life. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Coventry AARP #3820 will meet at 1:15 p.m. at the Portage Lakes Kiwanis Club Civic Center, 725 Portage Lakes Drive. Activities will include the annual Kentucky Derby horseracing event and visitors are encouraged to wear a derby hat for a chance to win a $10 gift card and possibly a $10 gift card for being a winner at a table. Free refreshments will be served, and all are welcome.
- Wandering Aesthetics and Dunamis Theatre are collaborating to produce two shows for young actors: "A Play Within A Play On A Midsummer’s Day" and "Bang, Bang You’re Dead." Both plays will offer young performers an opportunity to create as an ensemble and work on their craft in a style unique to Wandering Aesthetics and Dunamis Theatre. Auditions are 4 to 7 p.m. May 14 and 15 at the Center for Inner Peace, 239 Stow Avenue, Cuyahoga Falls. Performances will run Aug. 2, 3 and 4. Register for either audition day at https://www.watheatre.com/auditions For more information contact email@example.com.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General will offer Dining with Diabetes from 6 to 8 p.m. at Akron General, Atwood Classroom, Ground Floor, 1 Akron General Ave. The two-part cooking series is for those with diabetes and pre-diabetes, those at risk for diabetes or those who cook for people with diabetes. The classes are presented by certified diabetes educators and a chef and include cooking demonstrations. Attendees will learn how to prepare healthy meals – using less fat, salt and carbohydrates/sugar without sacrificing flavor. There will be an opportunity to taste a variety of main dishes, sides and desserts. Cost is $10 for the program. Registration is required by calling 330-344-7791.
- Join in the Gospel Blue Grass Jam held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. It is an evening of foot stompin’ music. Bring a covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- Professionals and the community will come together to celebrate senior adults and educate about their services and opportunities in Summit County. May 18 will consist of a professional conference providing CEU/CLE-level sessions held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. George Fellowship Centre. May 19 is a free senior expo featuring free food, prizes and services for seniors and those who love them from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Firestone Community Learning Center. Registration for May 18 is $90, including breakfast, lunch and CEU/CLE’s and is now open for detailed information on the conference sessions and registration can be found at http://bit.ly/2sbd4db.
- Join the Firestone Park Elementary family from 3:30 until 5:30 p.m. at the school for the end of the year 100th year celebration. Featured will be the fifth-grade singers, raffle prizes and food. Contact Mrs. Stokes through the school office at 330-773-1308 for more information.
The 3rd annual Steps of Change, "Walk a Mile in My Shoes," - educating, embracing and empowering families and individuals whose lives have been impacted through substance use - will be held from noon to 4 p.m. The event is open to the public. It is being held at Bolich Middle School, 2630 13th St., in Cuyahoga Falls, in the gym if it rains.
- A retreat is for engaged couples preparing for the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony will be held at 11 a.m. at Loyola Retreat House, 700 Killinger Road. Prayer, presentations, quiet reflection time, Mass, a pizza lunch, and dinner are a part of the event. The cost is $75 per couple (due with advance registration). Dress is casual. Departure will follow the 7 p.m. closing. For more information, call 330-896-2315 or visit loyolaretreathouse.com to register.
- Eleven first- and second-place winners of Tuesday Musical's 2018 Scholarship Competition will perform in a free concert on at 2:30 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, 2726 W. Market St. For more information about Tuesday Musical, visit tuesdaymusical.org.
Support Theatre 8:15 at a fundraiser held from 4 to 8 p.m. at Chipotle at 790 Arlington Ridge St. Mention Theatre 8:15 and 50 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the theater.
- Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road, is hosting a Craft Fair and Cruz-In Car Show. The day will include a craft and vendor market, trash and treasure find tables, concessions, bake sale and raffles. All makes, models and years welcome (weather permitting – no rain date). Motorcycles will not be judged. Registration fee is $5, and an awards ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. Cash awards will be given to first, second and third place winners. All proceeds benefit educational programs of the church. For information or to reserve a space, call Mary at 330-285-6560 or the church office at 330-882-4818.