- Register for a half-hour time slot to improve your shot at the archery open shoot from 6 to 9 p.m. Participants must have previously taken the Intro to Archery program. All equipment provided. For information, call 330-865-8065. The location is Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave.
- Manchester United Methodist Church is hosting a homemade soup, salad and dessert dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. at the church, 5625 Manchester Road. Donations are accepted. For more information, call the church office at 330-882-4818.
- The City of New Franklin will hold a paper shredding for residents from 10 am to 1 pm, rain or shine. Proof of residency is required. The truck will be in the City Hall parking lot and vehicles must use the entrance from Manchester Road, next to the Fire Station. The limit is 15 file boxes or shopping bags. There is no need to remove staples or paper clips, however any plastic must be removed. Contact the city of New Franklin with questions at 330-882-4324.
- The Friends of the Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road, is holding a book sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Akron East High School will host a luncheon for all classmates who graduated 60 or more years ago, on May 10 at noon, at Guy’s Party Center 500 E. Waterloo Road. The cost is $23 The reservation deadline is April 28. To attend contact Dave and Marilyn Young at 330-784-5167.
- New and experienced birdwatchers can join a naturalist for a bird walk around Alder Pond from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Binoculars are recommended. The spring bird walk is held at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Project Ed Bear will hold a Twisted Tiffany Soirée beginning at 2 p.m. at St. George Fellowship Centre in Fairlawn to benefit its scholarship program. All event guests will have lunch, a "Totally Girly Quarter" with skin care, purse and jewelry vendors, plus bid on auction and raffle items that include a 50/50, two pieces of Tiffany & Co. jewelry and a designer purse filled with lottery tickets. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit twistedtiffany.eventbrite.com. General admission is $40 and includes lunch, a numbered paddle for the quarter auction and entry into the fabulous door prize drawings. VIP admission is $100 and includes a VIP private reception the day of the event, early access to the silent auction items, 50/50 tickets (valued at $20) and a Tiffany inspired, blue leather zippered pouch with surprises inside.
- Heart to Heart Communications is hosting the annual Greater Akron Speaks Out for Values Breakfast featuring keynote speaker Ken Babby, Owner and CEO of the Akron RubberDucks. The event will be held at 6:30 a.m. at the John S. Knight Center. For ticket prices and registration, visit h2hc.org or contact Heart to Heart Communications at email@example.com or 330-434-3278.
- Archery for adults will be held from 10:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 2:30 p.m. Participants 16 and older can learn international-style target archery and test their marksmanship at our temporary indoor range. Program good for beginning and practiced archers. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Cost is $10/person. Advance registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065. The program is being held at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave.
- New and experienced birdwatchers can join a naturalist for a bird walk from 8 to 10 a.m. Binoculars are recommended. The walk will be held at Firestone Metro Park/Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Hike with a naturalist to learn the history of Goodyear Heights Metro Park. from 3 to 5 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Ave. For more information, call 330-865-8065.
- Lake Center Christian School will be holding its beginning strings and starting strings recital at 7 p.m. in the school’s gymnasium. The concert is free and open to the public. For more information, contact 330-877-2049, ext. 503. Lake Center Christian School is at 12893 Kaufman Ave., Hartville.
- An all you can eat breakfast will be held by Boy Scout Troop 118 from 7:30 to 11 a.m. at Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. The cost is $7 for adults, $6.50 for seniors and children 12 and younger.
Kids 15 and younger can learn the basics of fishing, then drop a line at Little Turtle Pond during Fishing for Kids from 1 to 3 p.m. A few rods and reels will be available for use. Bait is provided. Adults must supervise their children but are not permitted to fish. Firestone Metro Park / Little Turtle Pond is located at 2400 Harrington Road.
A Mother’s Day Drop-In Craft will be held between 2 and 4 p.m. at F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm/Seneca Deck, 1828 Smith Road, to make a nature-themed craft for the mother figure in your life. For more information, call 330-865-8065.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General is holding its free bi-annual maternity health fair, "Before Baby," from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Akron General main lobby, 1 Akron General Ave., Akron. Vendors will offer information about baby products, childcare, choosing a doctor for baby and more. Parents and grandparents can take a tour of Akron General's New Life Center and enter to win raffle prizes. Informational seminars begin at 1:30 p.m. in the surgical waiting area and are repeated every 15 minutes. The event is free and open to the public, but registration is recommended. Call 330-344-2229 to make a reservation or register online at akrongeneral.org/welcomebaby.
Lake Center Christian School, 12893 Kaufman Ave., Hartville, will be holding its Junior High Band, Choir, Orchestra Concert and Awards at 7 p.m. in the school’s gymnasium. The concert is free and open to the public. For more information contact 330-877-2049, ext. 503.
- Weekday walkers will be held from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. Join a naturalist on a leisurely stroll to discover the bogs' birds and blooms. Binoculars are recommended. For information, call 330-865-8065.
Lake Center Christian School, 12893 Kaufman Ave., Hartville,will be holding its High School Band, Choir, Orchestra Concert and Awards, with a senior art students presentation in the school’s Gymnasium. The concert is free and open to the public. For more information, contact 330-877-2049, ext. 503.
- The Kent Stage will present An Evening with John Popper (of Blues Traveler) at 8 p.m. Popper came to prominence as the front man of the blues/rock outfit Blues Traveler, performing harmonica guitar and vocals. Gold Circle tickets for Popper are $55 and reserved seats are $40. Tickets are on sale at www.thekentstage.com or by phone at 877-987-6487.
- PechaKucha Akron, a quarterly speaker series will be held at The Goodyear Theater. Doors open at 7 p.m. and speakers begin at 8 p.m. PechaKucha speakers give quick presentations that include 20 images shown for 20 seconds each for a total of six minutes and forty seconds. Tickets are $5 each, with a limited number of VIP tickets ($20, includes preferred seating) and free tickets (available with the coupon code AKRON), at goodyeartheater.com/event/1682315-pechakucha-akron-volume-11-akron. Complimentary appetizers will be provided, as well as beer and wine for purchase.
- The Kent Stage presents The Accidentals at 8 p.m. The Accidentals affirm their place among contemporary music’s most original and adventurous new bands. General admission tickets are $12 in advance and $15 day of show. Tickets are on sale at www.thekentstage.com or by phone at 877-987-6487. The Kent Stage is located at 175 E. Main St. in Kent, Ohio.
- The American Heart Association presents the 2018 Akron Heart Ball, themed "Peace. Hearts. Happiness." The black-tie event will be held at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. Attendees at the Heart Ball will enjoy a night of dinner, dancing and live entertainment. A highlight of the evening will be the Open Your Heart Special Appeal, during which guests will hear the inspiring stories of those impacted by heart disease, heart defects and stroke, and have an opportunity to contribute to the cause. For sponsorship opportunities, event information or details about how tickets and tables, visit akronheartball.heart.org, or contact Colleen Repie at 330-569-5793 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The eighth annual Race to a New Start 5K run and 1M walk is being held at Copley High School to benefit ACCESS Shelter and its mission to support and empower homeless women and children in our community. Runners will begin at 8 a.m. followed by the 1M walk and free kid’s fun run. All race participants will receive race swag (including an event t-shirt) and will have access to family-friendly activities like a photo booth and a prize wheel. For more information or to register, visit bit.ly/access-race. For race questions, please contact Stephanie Zelasko at 330- 376-0997 or email@example.com.
- Art by Marla presents an art and exercise event for parents and children age 6 to 12 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Making Mono Prints and Mindfulness Saturday includes all materials. The cost is $30 for a parent and one child and $10 for each additional child. Call Lisa at 330-361-9199 or Marla at 330-206-3319 soon to reserve a spot. All children must be accompanied by an adult during the event time.