You're not going to be able to take U.S. Route 62 west to Interstate 77 South or use the Interstate 77 S ramp to the Fulton Road exit.
If you drive near the Pro Football Hall of Fame, get ready for some detours.
You're not going to be able to take U.S. Route 62 west to Interstate 77 South or use the I-77 South ramp to the Fulton Road exit.
Starting Monday, the Ohio Department of Transportation is closing portions of the interchange as part of a $3.7 million improvement project. These closures are expected to be in place until the summer, and all the work is supposed to be done by late October.
Here's what's closed until when:
• The ramp from I-77 South to Fulton Road will close Monday and be closed through late July.
• The ramp from U.S. Route 62 west to I-77 South will close Monday and be closed through mid-June.
Here are the detours ODOT suggests:
• To get to Fulton Road from I-77 South: Drive to the 13th Street exit and then get back on I-77 North and take the Fulton Road exit. Another option not suggested by ODOT: Exit I-77 South at the Everhard exit and follow Whipple or Dressler Road south to Fulton.
• To get to I-77 South from U.S. 62 west: Take the Fulton Road exit and take Fulton Road to I-77 South near the Hall of Fame.
Fulton Road is expected to have nightly lane closures between Broad and Harrison avenues NW.
What this accomplishes:
The project is designed to improve already-bad traffic conditions near the Hall of Fame because of an expected tourism boost from Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village.
The major changes will be:
• Widening the exit ramp from I-77 South to Fulton Road so it has four lanes: a through lane, two right-turn lanes and a left-turn lane
• Widening U.S. Route 62 west into the "weave area" so there's one lane that continues onto I-77 South and one lane that exits to Fulton Road (which means drivers coming off I-77 south to the Fulton Road exit won't have to yield to traffic from U.S. Route 62 anymore)
• Widening the I-77 North exit onto Fulton Road to three lanes
• Making Blake Avenue NW north of Fulton Road a cul-de-sac
Funding for the project is coming from state and federal funds and not from local taxes.
Reach Alison at 330-580-8312 or email@example.com.
On Twitter: @amatasREP