Jackson Township trustees met with Canton officials for annual meetings of three joint economic development districts. Trustees also conducted a work session to review proposals for a spray park in North Park.
KEY ACTION Township and Canton city officials conducted annual meetings of boards for three joint economic development districts.
DISCUSSION The districts cover Stark State College, Stolle Machinery's facility at 4337 Excel St. NW, and vacant property owned by Fitzpatrick Realty that lies south of Applegrove Street and east of Frank Avenue NW. Trustees were told that Stolle has been investing in its facility and is in the process of adding 20 to 30 employees. The company also is considering a developing a training center for potential employees. Each JEDD boards set its next annual meeting for Feb. 26, 2019.
• Conducted a work session to review initial proposals for a new splash pad play area in North Park. Trustees asked Dave Ruwadi of the parks department to collect more information about the proposals.
• Accepted a $30,000 donation from MCTV. The funds will be used by trustees to assist organizations in the community.
• Appointed Curt Hetherington as a part-time patrol officer, under condition he clears all reviews.
• Paid bills totaling $215,049.
• Rescheduled the first meeting in May to Thursday May 10 to avoid a conflict with the primary election.
• Accepted donations to the 2018 Community Celebration from the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce ($1,000), Medical Mutual ($750), Chevalier Chiropractic and Excalibur Fence Co. ($250 from each).
• Conducted an executive session to interview a candidate for a part-time position with the police department.
NEXT UP Regular meeting in Township Hall at 5 p.m. on March 13, work session or executive session at 4 p.m.