- Join in the Gospel Blue Grass Jam held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at the Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. It is an evening of foot stompin’ music. Bring a covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-882-4818.
- Weekday Walkers will be held from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park's Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. Enjoy a walk along Alder Trail, with frequent stops to discover nature and history along the way. For information, call 330-865-8065.
The 2018 Summit Bridal Show will be held inside the Summit Mall Feb. 17 and 18. The show will provide area couples with information on how to create the perfect wedding experience. Brides and grooms can spin the Prize Wheel to win prizes donated by show exhibitors and play the Honeymoon Hunt. Each bride will receive a complimentary issue of Akron Canton Weddings magazine. Sign up for the chance to be a contestant in the Price is Right Game Show and the Nearly Newlywed Game. A fashion show will be held at 2 p.m. Brides and grooms may pre-register for the event at http://bit.ly/SummitBridal18for the chance to win a Bachelorette Party at Gervasi Vineyard.
- Wandering Aesthetics is hosting its 34th addition of the Electric Pressure Cooker Cabaret "Anything Goes," an open mic–style cabaret at 8 p.m. at Jilly’s Music Room, 111 N. Main St., Akron. There is a $5 cover charge or pay-what-you-can at the door. Audience members can pay their covers ahead of time and artists can pre-register for a performance slot online at epcooker.com or via phone at 330-612-3090 All levels and varieties of acts are encouraged to perform. Those under 18 are permitted to attend (and perform!) with adult supervision. For more information, visit akronbreadbox.com or email email@example.com.
- Discover the constellations of winter from 8 to 9:30 p.m. at Springfield Bog Metro Park, 1400 Portage Line Road. If there are no stars, there will be a hike instead. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 1:45 p.m. at the Springfield-Lakemore Branch Library. The doors will open from 2 to 4 p.m. for the public preview of the new library at 1500 Canton Road in Lakemore Plaza.
- Stay warm indoors with this winter series of talks held at Quail Hollow Stewart House Library. The talk will give participants a sampler of all the great stories and histories with each Stark Park's historical location. Afterward, stick around for a tour of the house. The event takes place at noon at Quail Hollow Park.
- Kids will learn the basics of hibernation play a game and take a short hike in search of some furry friends from 1 to 2:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park Tuscarawas Meadows Area, 2620 Harrington Road. Afterward, all are invited to warm up by a campfire. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- The Akron Zoo is offering free admission for all guests for Presidents Day. The Summit County Historical Society and Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be on-grounds with family-friendly activities for guests. Parking is $3. The zoo is open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, visit www.akronzoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
- Stop in to learn about feeding winter birds and make a simple bird feeder of your own. Then, try hand-feeding the birds along the trail. The program is for all ages. Hot cocoa will be available, while supplies last. The program is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Every year, beautiful, colorful icicles form along the Cuyahoga River creating a "Crystal Palace." Join a naturalist and discover first-hand the beauty of water in winter. We'll still hike if there's no snow or ice. The hike is from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Gorge Metro Park Main Entrance, 1160 Front Street. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Join the Metro Parks for a special introductory program. Couples can learn international-style target archery and test their marksmanship together at our temporary indoor range. The program is good for beginning and practiced archers. The program will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Firestone metro Park Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Participants must be at least 18. The cost is $15 a couple. Registration is required at summitmetroparks.org or call 330-865-8065.
- The Humane Society of Summit County (HSSC) invites supporters to attend Bow Wow Bingo, a fundraiser hosted by Beth McLeod of WOIO Channel 19 News in Cleveland from 6 to 9 p.m. at St. George Family Centre, 3204 Ridgewood Road, Akron. Attendees will play 8 fast-paced rounds of exciting bingo with a chance to win prizes. Guests will also enjoy dinner, dessert, a basket raffle, a separate $500 grand prize raffle, and a cash bar. Attendees will be able to meet some adoptable pets over the course of the evening. Tickets are $50 each and available in a limited quantity. Tickets and more information are available online at summithumane.org/bingo. Event guests and the public are invited to enter the grand prize raffle for a chance to win a $500 VISA Gift card. Tickets are available for purchase in person at 7996 Darrow Road in Twinsburg or by calling 330-487-0333, ext. 223. Grand prize raffle tickets cost $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. Even those who can’t attend Bow Wow Bingo are still able to participate in the grand prize raffle.
- The Manchester United Methodist Church is hosting a Homemade Soup, Salad and dessert dinner from 4 to 6 p.m. at the church, 5625 Manchester Road. Donations are accepted. For more information, call the church office at 330-882-4818.
- An event exclusively for inclusive and special needs cheer teams will be held at 1 p.m. at Springfield Junior Senior High School. The doors open at noon and the showcase begins at 1.
- At 9:30 a.m., enjoy a morning at the new Military Family Center and learn more about this endeavor dedicated to veterans, active-duty military, first responders and their families. Activities will include horse activities, painting project with Walsh University Art Club and social time. To learn more, visit www.militaryfamilycenter.org or call Missy to register at 330-935-2300, ext. 105.
- Portage Lakes Branch Library, 4261 Manchester Road, presents A Celebration of Animation: The 100 Greatest Cartoon Characters in Television History at 2 p.m. Marty Gitlin will entertain you with cartoon snippets while discussing such legends as Bugs Bunny, Homer Simpson and SpongeBob SquarePants. He provides insight into the characters from a historical context, tests your cartoon trivia, and explains the criteria he used to rank the best of the best. No registration required. For more information, call 330-644-7050.
- The Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles offers a free program, "NuFit: Nutrition & Fitness Education for a New You!" from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. The hour-long program provides information about the latest in nutrition and fitness, new recipes, tips and more from a registered dietitian and fitness expert. The class will focus on "Become Sodium Savvy" and"Cardiovascular Training and Weights." Call to register at 330-896-5000.
- Akron General Community Access & Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments are necessary. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8248 with questions.
- If you or someone you love is considering weight-loss options, make plans to attend a free information session on weight-loss surgery hosted by Cleveland Clinic Akron General’s Bariatric Center at 6 p.m. at Akron General, Boardroom, 1 Akron General Ave. The session will give an overview of the different types of weight-loss surgeries offered and the support provided by Akron General’s Bariatric Center. The risks, benefits and possible outcomes of surgery are also discussed. There is no cost to attend, but registration is appreciated and can be completed by calling 330-344-1950 or by registering online at akrongeneral.org/bariatric.