- Coventry Crossing Christian Church, 552 Swartz Road, is holding an open mic night at 7 p.m. For more information, call Deborah at 330-724-5277.
- Sibshops, a recreational and fun program for brothers and sisters of children with special needs, will meet from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road in Green. The prograom is offered for children in grades 3 through 6 and allows them to meet and interact with others who have siblings with special needs. Lunch is provided but pre-registration is required. For more information, call Greensburg United Methodist Church at 330-896-1936 or visit www.facebook.com/greensibsshops.
- Akron General Community Access & Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8175 with questions.
- Archery for kids will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Children 9 to 15 can learn international-style target archery and test their marksmanship at a temporary indoor range. The program is good for beginning and practiced archers. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. The cost is $10/person. Registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Coventry Crossing Christian Church, 552 Swartz Road, is holding a free community dinner following its 10:30 a.m. worship service. There will be speical music by Michael Gardner. For more information, contact Pastor Randy Brown at 330-338-2423, or visit www.coventrycrossingchurch.org or www.facebook.com/coventrycrossingchurch.
- Kids ages 9 to 15 can build their archery skills from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Firestone Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Avenue. Kids will play different games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way. Participants must have already taken one of park’s intro to archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. The program is free and registration is required and can be done at www.summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Archery games for adults will be held from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Ages 16 and older will play different games to build archery skills in a fun and exciting way. Participants must have already taken one of the park’s intro to archery programs. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Registration is required at www.summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065. The free program takes place at Firestone Metro Park / Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Avenue.
- Find out how animals keep warm in winter from 1 to 2 p.m. at Goodyear Heights Metro Park/Pioneer Area, 550 Frazier Avenue. All ages can come to the Nature Play area along Alder Trail and learn about animals winter habits and enjoy hot cocoa. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Pregnancy Choices, 2780 S. Arlington Road, Akron, is expanding its free medical services beginning Jan. 16. Clients may meet with a medical practitioner the third Tuesday of each month for free pregnancy tests, ultrasound, STD/STI testing and more. For more information or to make an appointment, contact reception@PregnancyChoicesForMe.com or call 330-455-7500, ext. 200.
- Grace United Church of Christ, 13275 Cleveland Ave. NW, Uniontown, invites people from around the area to a free community lunch between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. Lunch will be served in the church’s Family Activity Center, accessed through the west doors. For more information, contact the church office between 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday at 330-699-3255.
- Children ages 3 to 6 and their families explore a wide variety of animal tails during this Kinderealm program held from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. The program includes a hike and craft. Please make arrangements for younger children unable to remain in infant seats or strollers. Registration is required. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General will hold a free casual one-mile "Healthy Strides" indoor walk at the Health and Wellness Center in Green at 1 p.m. The center is at 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. Registration is not required. Meet at front entrance to facility.
- The Stark County Civil War Roundtable Meeting will be at 7 p.m. at United Methodist Church, 3088 State St. NW, Greentown, and the topic will be Morgan's Raiders in Ohio. It will be presented by Carroll County native John Barnett, who is a member of the Carroll County Historical Society. Cost is $4 for nonmembers. Annual membership is $20 for an individual or $25 for two or more people living at the same residence.
- Join in the Gospel Blue Grass Jam held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. It is an evening of foot stompin’ music. Bring a covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. For more information call 330-882-4818.
- The Summit County Master Gardeners are holding Design & Beyond 2018 Garden Symposium, "The Heart and Soul of the Garden." The event is from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Event Our Lady of Cedars Banquet Center, 507 S. Cleveland Massillon Road. Cost for the day is $50 and includes a continental breakfast and buffet lunch and symposium materials. Register now the event sells out quickly. On-line Registration at: summitmastergardeners.org look for "registration is now OPEN." For questions or you have difficulty registering on-line, please contact: Helen Ryan-King 330-338-1043 or email@example.com.
- The 2018 Belden Village Bridal Show, will be held at the Belden Village Mall Jan. 20 and 21. The show will provide area couples with information on how to create the perfect wedding experience. Brides and grooms will have a chance to spin the Prize Wheel and play the Honeymoon Hunt. Each bride will receive a complimentary issue of Akron Canton Weddings magazine. Also, sign up for the chance to be a contestant in the Price is Right Game Show and the Nearly Newlywed Game. Attendees can take in fashion shows at 2 p.m. each day. The shows will feature bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses, tuxedos and children’s wedding apparel. The expo will include local vendors sharing wedding planning information including formal attire, photographers, rental services, bakeries, DJ services, reception venues, salon and spas, caterers, travel agencies, beauty consultants, and more. Area brides and grooms can pre-register for the event http://bit.ly/BVBridal18 for the chance to win a Bachelorette Party at Gervasi Vineyard, including lunch or dinner for up to 12 guests at the Crush House and a Winery Tour.
- Akron General Community Access & Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8175 with questions.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles is offering Sugar Busters and How to Lose Belly Fat from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. The program is one hour and will cover nutrition, fitness, new recipes, tips and more. To register call 330-896-5000.