SPRINGFIELD TWP. The Springfield Township Board of Trustees held a meeting for the purpose to finish 2017 business and then went into an organizational meeting to approve business for 2018.
During the Dec. 28 meeting, trustees approved a carryover of vacations for non-contract and contract personnel and the wage schedule for non-contract personnel.
During the meeting, appropriations for the year 2018 were approved.
The organizational meeting began with the appointments of Dean Young as chairman and Joe DeLauro as vice chairman of the board.
The board aslo approved a variety of business. First on the agenda was the announcement the schedule of regular meetings; trustee liaison appointments were made: Trustee/Issue I/District 8/Contracts Dean Young; Trustee/NEFCO, Deborah Davis; Trustee/Township Waste Management, Davis; Trustee/News Media Young; Trustee/Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Joe DiLauro; Trustee/AMATS Young; and Health District Representative DiLauro.
All trustees are assigned as liaisons for the operations of the township departments including zoning, police, fire, parks, road, and the community/senior center.
In other business:
- The Volunteer Firefighters’ Dependents Fund requires that each township provide five elected board members, including two trustees, two fire department members and a fifth member appointed by the four above, to serve on that board. Of the above members, one is also appointed as chairperson. Davis, DiLauro, Vic Wincik, Steve Simich and Sharon Harms were appointed.
- Trustees approved for Huntington Bank to provide banking services for the township per the Depository Agreement on file in the Fiscal Office. The fiscal officer is authorized to invest funds into a Certificate of Deposit, Star Ohio Investments, as well as continue with the SWEEP checking account as per the Investment Policy on record with the state Auditor's Office. Those who are authorized to sign warrants, purchase orders, contracts, and vouchers are Davis, Young, DiLauro, and Harms.
- It was approved for legal counsel to be provided for 2018 by Attorney Warren Price at a base retainer fee of $2,500 per month. Representation on labor matters will be provided by Clemans, Nelson and Associates per Management Consultant Agreement.
- Trustees and the fiscal officer will be paid annual salaries divided into 12 equal payments.
- Trustees approved for advertisements for replacement of regular and/or part-time employees who have separated from the township. They also authorized to dispose of unneeded, obsolete, or unfit personal property including motor vehicles by internet auction during calendar year 2018. The Springfield Township website at www.springfieldtownship.us includes a link to the eBay store where a listing of items by seller I.D. of "Springtwp71" may be viewed.
- Also approved was for the zoning inspector to send mowing letters to property owners for their obligations for 2018 as the zoning administrator sees appropriate. The costs will be assessed to the property owners’ taxes. The administrator was given authority to assign work orders to independent contractors to abate nuisances on properties within the township and approve payments to the contractors for work performed in an amount not to exceed $2,500. The Board approved the agreement with Springfield Township Local Cable Communications Board to continue payment of 2 percent of the franchise fees received from Time Warner for Springfield Township cable subscribers. The local Cable Board provides services and programming available through the local public access channel. The Township receives 5 percent of the franchise fees each quarter. The township’s 3 percent share of the franchise fees are designated for parks use.
- Trustees approved the closure of Canfield Road and the boat launch for the following festivities: Concert Series on Fridays; the Sunday of the Concert Series and the rain date for the Concert Series; Rock the Docks festivities; Bark In The Park; Car Cruise In; Food Truck Festival; and Steak on the Lake.
The next regular scheduled meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Jan. 11 at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.