- The Military Family Center of Pegasus Farm, 7490 Edison St. NE, is taking registrations for two new programs that will begin in January. To learn more, visit www.militaryfamilycenter.org or call Tammi to register, 330-935-2300 ext. 104. The programs are:
Women Veterans and Women First Responders – January 10 to February 14 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The program consists of six weekly sessions. These unmounted sessions will focus on topics such as the power of the herd, the silent language of the horse, the importance of authority, safety from the horse’s point of view, and dealing with an ever-changing environment.
Women Veterans and Their Daughters/Mothers – January 27 at 9:30 a.m. Enjoy a morning at the Military Family Center and learn more about this new endeavor dedicated to veterans, active-duty military, first responders and their families. Activities will include, scarf tying, manicures, wreath bows, horse activities and social time.
- Want to try snowshoeing? The Summit Metro Parks is loaning out snowshoes for free to be used in the Liberty Park Nature Center area, 9999 Liberty Road in Twinsburg. Take the family on an adventure on Bluebird Trail. Snow shoes must be returned by 4:45 p.m. Park hours are Wednesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday noon to 5 p.m. Call 330-487-0493 for availability and inventory of sizes. Want to give ice skating a try? Weather permitting; the City of Cuyahoga Falls will have a limited number of ice skates available to borrow at no cost at Gorge Metro Park, 1160 Front St.,, from noon to 4 p.m. on Jan. 1 and Feb. 10. Ice skating is only possible under the right conditions; please call 330-865-8060 to learn if winter sports areas are open.
- A new grief support group, for men only, will be held by the Akron Visiting Nurse Service on the third Wednesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Every man mourns a death in his own way but does not need to face that journey alone. This group will provide a supportive space for men to learn about the process of grief. Build camaraderie and draw strength from one another while learning tools that will help in the journey through grief. The program will be held at 3358 Ridgewood Road, Copley. To register or for more information, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, Ext. 4662.
- Those who have experienced the death of a loved one know that the holiday season can be extremely stressful and sometimes heartbreaking. Cleveland Clinic Akron General Visiting Nurse Service will hold a free support group "After the Holidays ... Now What?"fr om 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m. The group will focus on overcoming the low feelings sometimes experienced after major holidays and other special days..Meet at the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center, 3358 Ridgewood Road, Copley. To register, or for more information, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, ext. 4662.
- From 2 to 3:30 p.m. or 6 to 7:30 p.m., Akron General Visiting Nurse Service will offer After the Holidays … Now What? Attendees will focus on overcoming the low feelings sometimes experienced after major holidays and other special days. For more information, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, ext. 4662. The program is held at 3358 Ridgewood Road, Copley. Call to reserve a place.
- The Growing through Grief Series will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays beginning Jan. 11 through March 1. Learn what to expect during the grieving process. Share stories, emotions, victories and hopes, and receive tools for handling the normal grief response. The program will be held at 3358 Ridgewood Road, Copley. To register or for more information, call 330-668-4662 or 800-335-1455, Ext. 4662.
- Sibshops, a recreational and fun program for brothers and sisters of children with special needs, will meet from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Greensburg United Methodist Church, 2161 Greensburg Road in Green. The prograom is offered for children in grades 3 through 6 and allows them to meet and interact with others who have siblings with special needs. Lunch is provided but pre-registration is required. For more information, call Greensburg United Methodist Church at 330-896-1936 or visit www.facebook.com/greensibsshops.
- Akron General Community Access & Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8175 with questions.
- Archery for kids will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. at Firestone Metro Park/Coventry Oaks Area, 40 Axline Ave. Children 9 to 15 can learn international-style target archery and test their marksmanship at a temporary indoor range. The program is good for beginning and practiced archers. All equipment and hands-on instruction provided. Must be 50 inches or taller. The cost is $10/person. Registration is required at summitmetroparks.org. For information, call 330-865-8065.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General will hold a free casual one-mile "Healthy Strides" indoor walk at the Health and Wellness Center in Green at 1 p.m. The center is at 1940 Town Park Blvd., Green. Registration is not required. Meet at front entrance to facility.
- Join in the Gospel Blue Grass Jam held from 6 to 9:30 p.m. at Manchester United Methodist Church, 5625 Manchester Road. It is an evening of foot stompin’ music. Bring a covered dish to share for dinner at 7:30 p.m. For more information call 330-882-4818.
- The Summit County Master Gardeners are holding Design & Beyond 2018 Garden Symposium, "The Heart and Soul of the Garden." The event is from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Event Our Lady of Cedars Banquet Center, 507 S. Cleveland Massillon Road. Cost for the day is $50 and includes a continental breakfast and buffet lunch and symposium materials. Register now the event sells out quickly. On-line Registration at: summitmastergardeners.org look for "registration is now OPEN." For questions or you have difficulty registering on-line, please contact: Helen Ryan-King 330-338-1043 or email@example.com.
- Akron General Community Access & Wellness is offering low-cost glucose and cholesterol screenings from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. To measure LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, be sure to fast for at least twelve hours. No appointments required. Screenings are done by a finger-stick test. Costs range from $12 to $58 depending upon the combination of tests ordered. Cash, check or credit card accepted. Call 330-665-8175 with questions.
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General LifeStyles is offering Sugar Busters and How to Lose Belly Fat from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Green Health and Wellness Center, 1940 Town Park Blvd. The program is one hour and will cover nutrition, fitness, new recipes, tips and more. To register call 330-896-5000.